Specialty studies: The top 5 most niche classes at ASU

A look at creative ASU classes you can take in the spring

9zY63V3I.png

"If you are looking for an extra elective, or even just a class on one of your hyper-fixations, here is a guide to the top five most niche ASU classes."

With the restriction of majors and general studies, it can be easy to forget all the classes ASU has to offer. Out of the hundreds of courses at the University, there is a niche of special interest classes that study in-depth cultural phenomena and history. This ranges from pop culture to mythological creatures and everything in between.  

If you are looking for an extra elective, or even just a class on one of your hyper-fixations, here is a guide to the top five most niche ASU classes.

5. The World's Game: History and Culture of Soccer

For any sports fans, you can take a class on the history behind the most popular game in the world. The class is taught by assistant teaching professor Paul Arena and focuses not only on history but also the culture surrounding soccer by looking at films, literature and news media depicting the sport. 

Whether you are a super fan or only think about it once every four years when the World Cup appears, this class offers an excellent insight into the universally beloved game. 

4. Topic: The Beatles 

If you're a music lover, consider this class on the history and cultural analysis of The Beatles in pop music. The course allows students to listen to the band and form their own interpretations while understanding the musical form and sociopolitical context of the lyrics.

So even if you're a casual fan who barely knows the words to "Hey Jude," this class allows you to understand one of the most influential bands in music history.

3.  Topic: "The Good Place" 

This class offered through Barrett, the Honors College is for fans of the series "The Good Place." The course analyzes the show from a philosophical standpoint, combining classic philosophy texts based on ethics with the series. It looks at specific episodes and asks ethical theories and questions.

If you are interested in philosophy or even just a fan of the show, this course offers a deep connection between pop culture and existential understanding. 

2. Topic: Studio Ghibli Films

For anime fans and movie lovers alike, there is a class detailing Studio Ghibli and its renowned films. The course, taught by associate professor Wendy Williams, looks at the studio's iconic films like "Spirited Away" and allows students to examine them while studying film criticism relevant to the genre. 

If you're an anime lover, fan of animation or even just looking to expand your knowledge of films around the world, this class provides an outlet to study Studio Ghibli.

1. Dracula and Vampire Lore 

This specialized class looks at vampires as an iconic character and symbol in history. The course studies vampires from their origins all the way to the modern day. It looks at the fictional creature with an emphasis on gender and social analysis, highlighting how they can be used for allegories and metaphors in media. 

If you are interested in media studies, history or are just a die-hard Twilight fan, this class takes a look at the infamous creatures that are vampires and explores them in an academic outlet.  

Edited by Andrew Dirst, Abigail Beck and Madeline Schmitke.

Reach the reporter at jagon128@asu.edu

Jazlyn GonzalesThe Echo Reporter

Jazlyn is a sophomore studying journalism and mass communication. This is her first semester with The State Press. She has also worked at Blaze Radio.

×