ASU's most fashionable football players: Top 5 best off-the-field looks

The intersection between sports and fashion has never been so popular, here's a rundown on ASU's most fashionable players

Untitled_Artwork 49.png

"We all know the real thought on everyone's mind is some of the thrilling fashion moments happening off the field."

As football season hits full swing, you might be thinking about senior running back Cam Skatteo running a 50-yard touchdown against Utah or redshirt freshman quarterback Sam Leavitt throwing a touchdown to clinch a win against Kansas. But we all know the real thought on everyone's mind is some of the thrilling fashion moments happening off the field. 

Okay. Maybe you're not thinking about what our football players wear, but here is a guide to ASU's most fashionable players.

5. Laterrance Welch

If week 1 of Sun Devil walks shows us anything, it's that Devils come dressed to play. Before the game against Wyoming on Aug. 31, junior cornerback Laterrance Welch dawned Hellstar shorts and shirt, unseen Jordan 11s, and Supreme socks with an "LT" chain to match.

Welch's look is boxy but reminiscent of Marc Jacob's Gen-Z spin-off line, Heaven, with the well-worn graphic tee paired with white, paint-stamped jorts. Welch stated NFL game days inspired him to become more fashion-forward.

"NFL game days make me want to get dressed up on our game days and just show the fans we can dress too, outside of football," Welch said.

4. Xavion Alford 

Redshirt junior defensive back Xavion Alford made the case for monochromatic outfits on Sept. 7 before the game against Mississippi State — donning a head-to-toe ensemble from Billionaire Boys Club, complete with Off-White runners. 

Monochromatic outfits are becoming more popular on the runway as seen with Valentino's Fall 2022 Ready to Wear electric pink collection. Alford notes his inspiration for his game day looks often comes from the weather.

"I try to dress comfortably but I also dress for the weather," Alford said. "The weather out here in Tempe, it's hot, so I don't want to come out there wearing jeans or a jacket. So I still like to be fashionable, but I like to be convenient for me."

3. Ben Coleman 

Sometimes simple is better, and graduate defensive lineman Ben Coleman proves elegant basics will never go out of style. Before the first game of the season on Aug. 31, Coleman showcased notable designer pieces: wearing a Louis Vuitton chain, sunglasses and duffle, a Versace watch paired with a David Yurman bracelet, dress slacks from Mens Warehouse, a crisp white button-up from BooHoo and Yayoi Kusama shoes. 

A designer label seems to be no stranger to Coleman, yet big-name brands are not his main motivator when getting dressed. Instead, Coleman notes his girlfriend of four years is his biggest fashion inspiration, often helping him create his outfits for the Sun Devil Walk.

"She always helps me keep a clean look by adding jewelry, adding pieces, color and pattern coordination because I'm not really good at that," Coleman said. "She really helps me with what patterns go together, what doesn't. She'll come up to me and roll my jeans up a little bit to have a little cuff, just to add little small things that might add a little detail."

2. Jeff Clark 

Jewelry proved to be one of the favorite ways for players to show off their style preferences this season, with graduate defensive lineman Jeff Clark wearing an iced-out "Jefe" chain to accompany his street style inspired outfit.

With the resurgence of early 2000s and late 90s fashion, it was to no one's surprise that street style came back stronger than ever. Clark's Gucci-escque look resembled Alessandro Michele's tenure at Gucci with his blend of street style maximalism and retro elements like knit-patterned polos.

1. Chance Symons

It's obvious Tempe's heat does not determine redshirt sophomore defensive lineman Chance Symons' outfit choices. Arriving at Sun Devil walk on Aug. 31, Symons showed off his cowboy roots with a mink coat, jeans, leather boots from Mavericks and a Stetson hat. 

Fashion has taken many notes from the equestrian/cowboy lifestyle. Even some brands like Ralph Lauren are founded on the ideas of high fashion ranch wear, yet Symons' outfit inspiration doesn't just come from wanting to look like a rancher, but rather because he is one. 

"I've been a cowboy my whole life," Symons said. "I've lived on a ranch my entire life and everybody just kind of wore what they felt was important to them."

Edited by Andrew Dirst, Sophia Ramirez and Madeline Schmitke.

Reach the reporter at thutche1@asu.edu

×