NIKI left Tempe buzzing with enthralling performance

The R&B singer took the stage for her first show in Arizona on Oct. 5

gYfCCGdA.jpeg

The Marquee Theatre on Wednesday, Oct. 9, 2024 in Tempe.

With cowboy boots, bright flashing lights and bursting vivacity, NIKI is the opposite of nonchalant. Her eagerness to perform makes her a rare jewel in an era of artists who are afraid to be loud, and fans can feel that energy radiating from the stage. 

Nicole Zefanya, whose stage name is NIKI, is an Indonesian American singer who performed at the Marquee Theatre in Tempe on Oct. 5. 

Her music is influenced by late '90s R&B and pop, and she began her music career with the release of her first song, "See U Never," in 2017.

Having spent nearly a decade in the music industry, NIKI has garnered a zealous fanbase. With over eleven million monthly listeners on Spotify, her fans feel as if they have found kinship with her through the music she makes. 

"I like that she's a woman, and that she's brown and that I feel like I know her," said Heli Sanchez, who attended the concert and has been a fan of NIKI for a year. "She feels like a friend."

25-year-old NIKI performed her first show in Arizona as a part of the tour for her third album, "Buzz."

The album is an ode to her early twenties, depicting the highs and lows of early adulthood and the harsh reality that life can be both good and bad at the same time. 

"That's kind of what 'Buzz' is all about," NIKI said in an on-stage monologue. "Two things can be true at one time: You can be scared out of your mind, and you can still be brave. You can be soft and you can be strong at the same time."

Accompanying her lyrics were three backup singers and layered instrumentals including electric guitar and synth, making the performance a very sensory-driven experience. She ensured that fans felt like they were a part of the performance by encouraging them to sing along with her and continually interacting with them between songs. 

Opener Allison Ponthier has a similar vibe that compliments NIKI's cowboy-influenced, energetic style but with a darker edge.

Ponthier said she had been a fan of NIKI for a while, and when NIKI reached out about opening for her, Ponthier was surprised to learn that NIKI was also a fan of her music.

"She's a wonderful person," Ponthier said. "She writes, produces, and obviously performs her own music and I just find that quality really important. I think there should be more women who are in production and do everything themselves. I just really, really admire her."

NIKI’s audience is dedicated, to say the least. Though small, the crowd came alive in a way that made hands rise and put phones out of sight. The appreciation of NIKI and her music has formed a strong community. 

"I love her vibe and her energy," said Julia Putnam, a local fan at the concert. "She's very down to earth." 

NIKI's alluring presence was also able to attract newcomers.

"She's a really good stage presence." said Tessa Allie, who attended the concert with a local fan. "Honestly, I didn’t know any of her songs, and I was still jamming out."

The concert was an experience that fans enjoyed thoroughly, screaming lyrics to songs and dancing their hearts out even while they stood for two hours. 

"I have found so much healing and joy touring this record specifically," NIKI said onstage. "Thank you so much for being a part of this crazy experience."

Edited by Andrew Dirst, Sophia Ramirez, Tiya Talwar and Madeline Schmitke.

Reach the reporters at ktale@asu.edu and ebmosier@asu.edu and follow @KasturiTale and @eleribmosier on X.

Kasturi TaleThe Echo Reporter

Kasturi is a sophomore studying journalism. This is her second semester with The State Press. She has her own blog and has worked in creative writing.

Eleri MosierThe Echo Reporter

Eleri is a senior studying interdisciplinary studies, english and sociology. This is her second semester with The State Press. She has also worked in retail.

×