Charli XCX and Troye Sivan make fans 'Sweat' during Arizona performance

The pop artists shared the stage at the Footprint Center on Oct. 13

The Echo-Sweat-tour-concert-.jpg

A display above the Footprint Center Stadium promotes the SWEAT Tour on Saturday, Oct. 12, 2024, in Phoenix.

Fast flashing lights, abrasive sounds and lime green specks of glitter filled Footprint Center as Charli XCX and Troye Sivan danced and writhed around on stage for thousands of shouting fans during their their performance: "Sweat."

Charli XCX, a British popstar, ran the summer of 2024 with the release of her highly anticipated album "BRAT" which turned heads with its now iconic green color and low-res black font. 

The songs themselves were an ode to classic electronic music, raves and party culture while also including an occasional raw touch. Much to the surprise of longtime fans who call themselves "Angels," the album had the nation in a chokehold.  

Ivana Grgic, a freshman studying theater, said she was surprised by the commercial success the album had, especially in regards to its relationship with Vice President Kamala Harris' presidential campaign.

"I feel like it would be almost frowned upon to use (explicit) songs for marketing," Grgic said. "But I think it's really cool how it's almost celebrated."

READ MORE: Gen Z's 'brat summer': How young voters are impacting presidential campaigns

Her co-performer, Sivan, an Australian singer-songwriter and actor released his album "Something to Give Each Other" in October 2023. The album garnered major praise for two music videos which included highly-saturated clips of sweaty Keith Haring-like dance moves and Sivan himself dressed in drag and dancing with Ross Lynch.

Both artists clearly resonated with people, and the Footprint Center in Downtown Phoenix was filled to the brim with fans dolled up in platform boots, mini skirts and layers of hairspray.

"It's actually like a 'Dress to Impress' lobby," said Brody Wuttke, a University of Arizona freshman studying biomedical sciences. "Everybody looks so good. In my mind, I'm like, 'five stars, five stars.'"

The show opened with some performances by Shygirl, a British singer and DJ. Her pink and sparkly set hyped the crowd up for what was to come later in the evening. In between sets, fans could hear Aphex Twin, Grimes and Sky Ferreira playing over the sound system. 

Sivan began the main event with his song "Got Me Started," and fans cheered along as he sang and danced with several of his background dancers.

After Sivan performed three songs, the stadium went pitch black. Silence filled the room before fans began screaming in anticipation, knowing what was next. A giant cube sat at the front of the stage draped in a bright green covering with the word "brat" stretched across all sides.

After about half a minute, the fabric dropped, revealing Charli XCX, who immediately started performing her song "365." The crowd was in a frenzy as she continued with her section of the show before handing it back to Sivan. 

The two alternated between performances throughout the night, sharing the stage for "1999" and "Talk Talk," which Sivan remixed for Charli XCX's remix album "Brat and it's completely different but also still brat."

"I've been a fan of Charli since I was 11, 12, when she released her second album," said Brandon Hanks, a business administration major with a minor in fashion. "I feel like this album is a whole different thing. It's not just an album. It's an event. It's something that has changed politics. … It's something special."

Fans thrashed around and headbanged for the rest of the night as Sivan and Charli XCX switched songs just as fast as they switched outfits. Toward the end of the show, the performance stopped abruptly, leaving the audience hanging. A sea of iPhone flashlights and lighters engulfed Footprint Center as the crowd begged for more.

Finally, the introduction to "I Love It," Charli XCX's song with Icona Pop from 2012, began playing, which many people consider a quintessential "party girl" anthem. She crawled around on the stage and screamed into the microphone while white lights flashed throughout the entire room.

Sivan and Charli XCX finished off the night with a final song together, before saying goodnight and embarking on their next stop in the SWEAT tour.

Although the tour will finish in Seattle on Oct. 23, Charli XCX and Sivan's reign is far from over. Sivan has been producing several fragrances for his brand TSU Lange Yor, and Charli XCX is set to star in multiple films in upcoming years.

For fans who attended the concert, the "brat" mindset will last longer than one summer.

"It's just about having fun and being confident in your own skin," Grgic said. "I feel like it's very mindless and not so serious but in the best way possible, and it's almost like an outlet for people to express themselves and have fun."

Edited by Andrew Dirst, Sophia Ramirez and Madeline Schmitke.

Reach the reporter at njarret1@asu.edu and @nataliajarrett on X.

Natalia JarrettDigital Producer

Natalia is a sophomore studying journalism and mass communication. This is her third semester with The State Press. She has also worked as a politics reporter.

×