ASU Volleyball transfer Savannah Kjolhede quickly adjusts to new team environment

As a Sun Devil, Kjolhede had a career game against Utah hitting her personal best .800

Sports-Sports-Volleyball-Kjolhede-.jpg

Middle blocker Savannah Kjolhede (15) celebrates with her team after winning a match against Utah at Mullett Arena
on Oct. 3, 2024, in Tempe. ASU won 3 to 1.

Graduate middle blocker Savannah Kjolhede transferred to ASU from Indiana in search of a change of scenery and self-improvement. Despite a slower start compared to her teammates, Kjolhede has found ways to accomplish her goals while swiftly adapting and impacting the team.

Kjolhede joined the Sun Devils over the summer right before the team's trip to Brazil. Unlike the majority of players who had six months to get to know each other, she and other freshman and transfer players were completely new to everyone and everything. 

However, instead of seeing this as a blocking stone, Kjolhede strategically used the time to get to know the girls who are now her teammates. 

"On the court, it takes a lot of time and repetition to be with a whole new group of players," Kjolhede said. "I think the Brazil trip really helped with that and being more comfortable. You’re in a completely different country with 15 people and it just brings you so close, I'm really grateful for that."   

Redshirt freshman setter Brynn Covell was one of those special bonds she continues to build off of today. Kjolhede's roommate on the trip, Covell compliments her on how fast she became a strong piece of this team. 

"She adjusted really well," Covell said. "Our speed is different than most other teams in the country, and I think right away she came in, she worked her butt off, adjusted to the speed, and got really close with all of us. So props to her." 

Kjolhede powered through the speedy transfer from across the country and has had a very successful start to her Sun Devil career. So far this season, she has 98 kills, two assists, five aces, 18 digs and 49 total blocks. 

"And I think that she's done a great job hitting slides," graduate middle blocker Claire Jeter said. "As fast as we run them it's so hard. Slides are the hardest hit you can hit in volleyball and I stand by that — I was a slide hitter … I think she does a great job, and her impact on the team is insane."

In Kjolhede's three seasons at Indiana, she achieved many things. To highlight a few, she became the 14th player to record 300 career blocks ending up tenth after achieving 359 career blocks, and in 2023 she broke the program record for hitting percentage in Big 10 only contests with .379. 

Even with so much success in Bloomington, she felt it was time to expand her horizon. She not only wanted to continue her education in Tempe, but she also found this as an opportunity for a new start and a chance to grow. 

Kjolhede believes that she's accomplished just that during her short time here even through the challenges of moving schools. With the welcoming presence of not only her teammates but the coaching staff, she has all the support she needs. 

When she entered the portal, a vital factor for her was building a close relationship with her new head coach and she has done that with head coach JJ Van Niel. When she visited twice in the spring, Van Niel and other staff members made a great impression on her by doing activities and getting to know her outside of volleyball. 

"That was one or two on my list," Kjolhede said. "I want that relationship (with my coach) ... If I’m going to be there for six months, I want it to be the best six months and not have to worry about my relationship with the coaching staff ... I think JJ does an amazing job with that."

She not only wanted to be part of this growing program. The veteran talent on the team drew her in because of their level of maturity. 

"I think it’s such a special thing when you can have eight seniors who are teaching the four new freshmen coming in," Kjolhede said. "Those four are going to be teaching the other freshman coming in. That was my favorite thing to do at my old school and being able to do that here was a big priority." 

READ MORE: ASU Volleyball's success on the court reflects life off it

Leadership being prioritized for the Sun Devils program matches well with Kjolhede’s perspective and interests as a student in leadership and management. Her ideals are that everyone deserves to be respected, heard and not judged right away. 

"I really like leading by example and by guiding others," Kjolhede said. "I have a loud voice, but it's not the biggest voice in the room. With leadership and business, compared to a team, I think the one thing that's the most common that I’ve pulled out of both and connected is just the way that you talk to people and connect with people."

In her final year, Kjolhede will remain dedicated, as she loves being part of a team dynamic and sees worth in going through all the hard work together to enjoy the best times that come at the end. 

"I’m not going to miss a practice," Kjolhede said. "I will work my butt off in the offseason to never be gassed in a game. I think that's just my motivation is to always be able to play ... The best ability is availability." 

Edited by Henry Smardo, Sophia Braccio and Madeline Schmitke.

Reach the reporters at linunez@asu.edu and follow @laurentahuka on X.

×