ASU Volleyball sweeps three-game homestand

No. 13 Sun Devils now have five ranked wins under head coach JJ Van Niel

Sports-Volleyball-Upcoming-Homestand-Recap -.jpg

ASU junior outside hitter Bailey Miller (22) spikes the ball on Wednesday Oct. 10, 2024 at Desert Financial Arena in Tempe. ASU won 3-1.

The No. 13 Sun Devils returned to Tempe for three games against Utah, No. 23 BYU and UA. ASU protected its home court with a three-game sweep to improve to 6-0 at home. 

ASU went down early 1-0 against Utah after battling through a series of rallies. However, the Sun Devils' defense powered through to pressure the Utes offense leading to a 3-1 win and a season-high 14 blocks for ASU. 

"So far this year, that's been a thing for us. We can bounce back. We can grind back," graduate libero Mary Shroll said. "Even if we're down in the first set, teams should never think that we're gonna roll over. We're always gonna fight."

Graduate middle blockers Savannah Kjolhede and Claire Jeter stood out against Utah. Jeter had nine blocks at the net with 10 kills while Kjolhede had a team-high of 12 kills and five blocks. 

The game marked Jeter's fourth reaching double figures and was memorable for Kjolhede, reaching a career-high .800 hitting percentage while recording double-digit kills for the second time this season.  

READ MORE: ASU Volleyball transfer Savannah Kjolhede quickly adjusts to new team environment

"They're both veterans and they're both really, really hard workers," head coach JJ Van Niel said. "They come in every time and do their job over and over and over and that's what you need. It's great because they set the example for everyone else to understand that we come in and work."

The Sun Devils carried their momentum into the meeting against No. 23 BYU with their 10th sweep of the season. The game was the Cougars' first 3-0 loss. Meanwhile, Shroll earned her second Big 12 Defensive Player of the Week award after she led the team in digs against BYU.

READ MORE: ASU Volleyball's defense shines in first half of season

Shroll led all players this game with 17 digs, eight of which came in the first set. Jeter was in charge offensively with 11 kills, tying her season high, and graduate setter Argentina Ung chipping in 31 assists. 

The thrilling Friday win helped build the Sun Devils' confidence and excitement with the Wildcats up next. 

"That's something that fires you up," Ung said. "We were in practice one day and I remember Mary had this play and JJ said, 'Your hustle inspired me.' I think that's one thing that we get from each of our teammates, the hustle."

READ MORE: ASU volleyball's success on the court reflects life off it

The team's adrenaline seemed to increase as its first game against UA in the Big 12 ended in a 3-1 ASU win in front of the fourth-largest crowd in program history. The win is the third in a row over UA and finished the 3-0 ASU home sweep. 

The in-state rivalry game had many back-and-forth rallies, keeping both teams on their toes to earn the first half point in the Territorial Cup Series. The third set was game-defying after the two teams refused to quit. UA took ASU to six match points, forcing the set into extra points. 

A central kill by graduate outside hitter Geli Cyr ended the 31-29 set with the Sun Devils on top and set up ASU for a quick fourth-set and match win. 

"That was the battle," Shroll said. "That was a fun set to win. It gives you so much momentum. They were playing really hard, we were playing hard. So the rallies were very, very intense." 

The Sun Devils notched 93 digs this win, the most for a Big 12 team so far this season. Shroll led with a season-high 32 digs, the second-highest for a Big 12 player this season. 

Behind her was Cyr who reached a career-high 23 kills and a season-high 17 digs. Her offensive performance was the second-highest for a Sun Devil this year. 

Ung also played a huge role in this game with 42 assists, tying her season-high. She also had a career-high 20 digs. This game marked her second time this season with 40 or higher in a single match in assists. 

READ MORE: Transfer setter Argentina Ung's binational experience perfects a talented team

"I think one thing that we did really well tonight was keep our tempo," Cyr said. "That is so hard to defend on the other side. So (Ung) did a great job of pushing that tempo and our passing was just there. And at that point, who do you block? So that was really helpful for the 23 kills." 

The Sun Devils will travel to Lubbock, Texas to face Texas Tech on Oct. 12 before returning to Mullet Arena for another three-game home stand.

Edited by Jack Barron, Abigail Beck and Madeline Schmitke.

Reach the reporters at linunez@asu.edu and follow @laurentahuka on X.

×