ASU volleyball's success on the court reflects life off it

The Sun Devils have three different committees dedicated to improving the program and helping players grow individually

Sports-Sports-Volleyball-Athlete-Sacrifice
ASU graduate student setter Shannon Shields (9) makes the first serve against Washington at Mullett Arena in Tempe on Sunday, Sept. 24, 2023. ASU won 3-1.

The Sun Devils have proven consistent throughout the season with a 13-2 record. All their awards, historical moments, and newfound attention wouldn't be possible without the efforts that go unnoticed by the average fan.

ASU takes team culture seriously. Head coach JJ Van Niel and his staff have worked tirelessly to create the no. 15-ranked program in the nation. 

"This is definitely one of the strongest cultures I've been around as a coach," said assistant coach Shaughn McDonald. "That's definitely a testament to JJ and the rest of the staff he's built. A big part of our culture, and really the base of it, is the connections we build." 

Sacrifice goes into getting to the level this team has reached in just two seasons. The players and staff have formed three committees designed to enforce their team culture and support each other.

"I think everyone plays a role great on this team," said graduate middle blocker Claire Jeter. "We don't have certain people that can do certain things, all of our upperclassmen are great leaders but so are our underclassmen."

READ MORE: ASU volleyball aims to build on near-perfect nonconference play

The health and wellness committee that Jeter and redshirt freshman setter Brynn Covell help lead focuses on ensuring players attend physical treatments, stay healthy, have smooth recoveries and focus on getting rest. 

They also have worked on proper nutrition by picking healthy foods for the locker rooms and on bus rides. Proper fuel before games is important to ensure their physical needs are met, and the team works with a sports dietitian to make that possible.

The team's smaller stature may give the impression that the Sun Devils are weaker than other Big 12 teams, but they are working hard to defeat that myth by putting work into their bodies.  

ASU works in the gym on personalized lifts based on player stats that take into account volleyball IQ and known strengths. The team believes they can play beyond their size instead of focusing on what they don't have. 

"We have resources that make us perform better, and small doesn't mean worse," Jeter said. 

The team also has an academic and outreach group that Brynn helps lead. The players give back to the community by spending time off the court hosting resident dinners, visiting retirement homes and volunteering. 

Lastly, the Sun Devils have a culture committee that focuses on forming strong connections on the team through bonding exercises and social events. In all, the three groups help shape the team's identity by providing for one another. 

"We're all going through the same things, it's hard what we do … these committees help reach out and we do a lot of things together," Covell said. "It's just nice to have people who understand and if you have a rough day, they're there to help you."

The encouragement they give each other on the sidelines has been important to the team's overall performance.

"Guys have to be good on the court to be closer outside of the court," Jeter said. "I think that's a cool thing to realize is how important girls' relationships off the court are for us to be able to perform well."

Having a strong group of friends to lean on is something the team doesn't take for granted, especially when a student-athlete's mental health can be overlooked. 

"There is so much going on in our lives and then to add this is a huge pressure," Covell said. "I think that it's another reason to have so much trust in the team. If I need something I can go to them … we're very blessed to be here and I think gratitude helps with the mental side of things."

Those relationships are important for maintaining mental health when faced with obstacles and the stress of a busy schedule. 

"It’s hard to find time, especially (for) relationships with people who aren't in athletics," Jeter said. "Finding time for people that you love and want to be and hang out with, friends who aren't in athletics, all that stuff is really hard because you have such different schedules."

READ MORE: ASU volleyball staring down strong Big 12 slate

Ending the season on a positive note would prove to the Sun Devils as individuals and teammates that the hard work put in is worth it. 

"These young women are going to go out in the world, and we want to know that we've asked them to do some hard things, both on the court and off the court," McDonald said. "We feel like they are ready to put in some work out there in the world and realize they have what it takes to go do some special things out there."

Edited by Jack Barron, Sophia Braccio and Madeline Schmitke.

Reach the reporters at linunez@asu.edu and follow @laurentahuka on X.

×