Review: 'Smile 2' is fun, but a similar take on the original horror film

The 'Smile' sequel, starring Naomi Scott, is scary but not groundbreaking

Smile2.jpg

A poster for 'Smile 2' at Harkins Theatres on Thursday, Oct. 17, 2024, in Tempe. Additional illustrations added on Friday, Oct. 18, 2024.

Ready. Set. Smile. 

"Smile 2," a horror movie starring Naomi Scott, is set to release in theaters Friday. Directed by Parker Finn, this two-hour-and-fourteen-minute film tells the story of the infamous monster-like virus that inhabits a person to smile creepily before committing suicide. 

The film follows the first "Smile," movie, in which a therapist receives the curse from a patient. Both films ask the main character to face their past trauma: Skye Riley, played by Scott, faces a car accident that killed her partner and severely injured her. Now, Riley has to face the curse right before her first returning performance, which only adds to the anxiety and stress she has to face.

@fandango Naomi Scott and Lukas Gage star in #Smile2, coming to theaters October 18. Get your tickets now at the link in bio 😀 #naomiscott #lukasgage #smile #movietok #filmtok ♬ original sound - Fandango

As traumatic and creepy as the idea of a smiling curse may seem, this horror movie goes beyond simple jump scares and sounds. When it comes down to it, "Smile 2" asks audience members to question what it means to truly face their trauma and what it means to heal.

Scott takes the role of the main character to the next level. She portrays the arc of learning to live after addiction, while also showcasing what it means to make mistakes. She embodies the confidence and intelligence it takes to face the monster in all forms. 

Plus, her PTSD resurfaces throughout her fight with the virus, exhibiting the extent to which traumatic experiences shape a potential victim.

The film's cinematography adds to the essence of the eerie experience, including shrill music and angled shots. The feeling when watching the movie is heightened by speedy camera movements as well as the fast-paced glimpses of other victims and gory images.

Although there is no overall narrative development within the entire series yet, the second movie provides more twists and turns than the first movie. "Smile 2" dives between reality and fiction, giving the viewer more chances to feel surprised and shaken. Around half of the movie proves to be inside Scott's head — but the ending leaves the members of the audience to question what really did happen throughout the movie. 

And, of course, the infamous smile. As the curse starts to take over Scott's brain and perception of reality, the smiles only become more spine-chilling. 

However, the way some characters smile diminishes the fear of what the smile means.

At the end of the day, the movie is another fast-paced and scary film to enjoy this Halloween season. However, if you're looking for a more developed storyline, "Smile 2" may not be the film for you. Its ordinary outcome lacks the narrative development of the curse. 

As October wraps up and the spooky season comes to a close, this movie serves as both a trick and a treat for viewers, and you may just end up smiling when you leave the theater.

Rating: 3.5/5

Edited by Andrew Dirst, Abigail Beck and Natalia Jarrett.

Reach the reporter at gachatht@asu.edu.

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on X.

Gokul AchaththekootThe Echo Reporter

Gokul is a sophomore studying actuarial science. This is his third semester with The State Press.

×