To read or not to read: How Shakespeare has changed to suit modern audiences

Current adaptations make the poet more accessible to Gen Z

The Echo-Shakespeare-in-pop-culture.png

"William Shakespeare is widely considered to be the greatest dramatist of all time, with plays that transcend centuries. However, this history in-between can leave his work complex to the average student."

At some point in their high school career, most students are required to learn Shakespeare, the poet responsible for a range of tragedies and comedies and that asked the question "To be or not to be." The universal themes touched on in Shakespeare's plays still matter to young audiences 400 years later, they just need to be seen in a different light. 

William Shakespeare is widely considered to be the greatest dramatist of all time, with plays that transcend centuries. However, the changing history between these centuries can leave his work too complex for the average student.

Remy Hepworth, a freshman studying anthropology, has a passion for Shakespeare. But they do admit his work can be hard to digest for most first-time readers. 

"I feel like it takes more than a minute to understand it, and that's why a lot of people don't like reading it," Hepworth said. "But if you do put in the work, then I think people would enjoy him more."

READ MORE: ASU professors to delve into Hamlet as part of month-long Shakespeare celebration

Professors also understand that there is a struggle when making sense of old text, no matter the subject. 

Laura Turchi teaches the ASU class Social Media Explorations of Shakespeare and said she understands there is a language barrier between old and modern English. 

"It's not naturally accessible, in the sense that if you've got a text that's so old and comes from a different time and is written in not another language, but a language that's been evolving for 400 years," Turchi said. “So some things don't mean the same as they did. The words look familiar, but it doesn't mean what you think it does."

To overcome this divide between young audiences and Shakespeare, his work needs to be perceived in a more palatable manner.

@adventuresoflondon They had this man on the ROOF of the building 💀 Tom Holland stars in Romeo and Juliet London alongside Francesca Amewudah-Rivers for 12 weeks only in the West End The show features gore, jumpscares, and Tom Holland being a bit snotty from crying. It was epic. The show is almost sold out on day one. #tomholland #jamielloyd #romeoandjulietlondon #tomhollandromeoandjuliet #londontheatre #westend #londonthingstodo #london ♬ original sound - Adventures of London

Clay Sanderson, a Ph.D. student studying theatre and performance of the Americas, has taught Shakespeare to students ranging from middle school to the university level. He knows that Shakespeare is long, and to help with comprehension, a play can be cut and stylized to better suit new audiences.

"Shakespeare is kind of a director's dream, in a way, because especially if you're trimming the text, you can kind of shape it in a way that tells the particular story that you want to,” Sanderson said. "You can do anything with it."

This year, "The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet" has gotten two very different adaptations on both West End and Broadway.

@fallontonight @Kit Connor & Rachel Zegler explain the Gen Z-ification of @Romeo + Juliet on Broadway! #FallonTonight #TonightShow #KitConnor #RachelZegler #RomeoAndJuliet #JimmyFallon ♬ original sound - FallonTonight

The West End production, directed by Jamie Lloyd, starred Tom Holland and Francesca Amewudah-Rivers as the star-crossed lovers. This production was said to be a standout through its minimal staging and actions.

Meanwhile, in New York, Sam Gold is directing a Broadway revival of the show that is currently in previews. Kit Connor and Rachel Zegler are making their Broadway debut in this production that is said to be very Generation Z inspired, focusing on teen angst and rebellion. 

Sanderson said Shakespeare's plays were done in a contemporary manner during his time. Now in the 21st century, directors and actors follow suit. 

Through these dramatized and trimmed versions of the original plays, Shakespeare is now able to reach younger audiences and still leave an impression centuries later.

Edited by Andrew Dirst, Sophia Ramirez and Natalia Jarrett.

Reach the reporter at jagon128@asu.edu

Jazlyn GonzalesThe Echo Reporter

Jazlyn is a sophomore studying journalism and mass communication. This is her first semester with The State Press. She has also worked at Blaze Radio.

×