'The Bachelorette' controversy prompts fans to question the reality TV industry's ethics

Representation in entertainment: How can producers protect their participants?

The Echo-RealityTv- POC-Development.png

"Reality TV's main draw is to capture dramatic and vulnerable moments of the personalities seen on screen. Sometimes these moments are scripted, while others are raw and uncut, but ethics blur with questionable industry practices."

Reality television's reputation for upholding a churning cycle of drama and vulnerability prompts an age-old question: How much is too much? Sometimes moments between personalities are scripted, while others are raw and uncut — but ethics blur with questionable industry practices.

Recently, "The Bachelorette" had its first Asian-American lead in the entire Bachelor franchise with Jennifer Tran starring in season 21.

But there has been some controversy on how Tran's story ended in the finale, in which she confronted contestant Devin Strader on their complicated and emotional relationship. While rewatching their proposal ceremony from the show, Tran broke down in front of the live audience. 

"Imagine having a mental breakdown and there is a camera just in your face, that is just not right," Regina Inweh, a sophomore studying community health, said. "I feel like a personal thing (like that) should not be recorded."

The show received some backlash from fans due to this treatment of Tran because there was allegedly some behind-the-scenes foul play from the producers. Maria Georgas, who was on season 28 of The Bachelor, originally accepted the role as the Bachelorette but gave up the role days before it was announced. 

Kiara Agrawal, a junior studying film and media production and the vice president of Scriptless, an ASU documentary club, said that this situation showcased the subtle differences in how Tran was treated compared to white leads. 

Tran was a last-minute addition, and the producers allegedly did not adjust the cast to ensure that they were genuinely interested in her instead of Georgas.

This situation prompted fans to question the overall ethics of major reality TV programs. 

Agrawal said that sometimes it's hard to tell whether the tears or the drama on screen accurately represent reality, or if these actions are just done on command. 

"Reality TV is meant to show people when they are at their worst or most vulnerable, but how much of that is scripted?" Agrawal said. "Most of the time, reality TV isn't reality."

Shefali Saxena, a senior studying political science, said transparency is a key way for producers to protect their participants, especially people in vulnerable states. 

She also said one of the major issues in reality TV is participants being forced into uncomfortable situations that they sometimes cannot handle. In these cases, she believes participants should be able to leave the show. 

On the other hand, reality TV can sometimes be a way to ensure different people from various backgrounds and personalities can be represented in media. Shows like "Love on the Spectrum," "The Amazing Race," "Queer Eye" and "Love Island" have showcased a wide range of cast members within their shows.

Showcasing a diverse group of people that the audience can relate to will also expand the audience that is reached, Inweh said. 

Inweh added that she resonated with JaNa Craig, a cast member from the recent season of Love Island USA because she felt that she could see herself in the participant, especially through physical features.

"It made me more interested in watching the show because I'm very self-centered," Inweh joked. "So seeing someone who reminds me of me means that I am basically in the show."

Representation in media has always been a prominent issue within the entertainment industry. Some fans say producers need to ensure not only that their shows represent various groups accurately, but that they do it with care so their participants are not hurt in the long run.

Edited by Andrew Dirst, Abigail Beck, Tiya Talwar and Natalia Jarrett.

Reach the reporter at atlynch2@asu.edu and follow @alanamentions on X.

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on X.

×