From 'Masters of War' to 'American Idiot': How music and activism stand the test of time

Despite backlash in the music industry, protest music and music in campaigning still hold influence

Politics-political-music-genz.png

"Everybody can have their own type of music, and it's through that music that these messages can be shared to them. It's very necessary, and it's very important."

At first glance, Bob Dylan, Green Day and N.W.A may not have much in common.

However, they all have a similar goal: They created music that protested American governments and institutions.

According to Michael Campbell, a professor who teaches in the School of Music, Dance and Theatre, activism and politics have been part of music for centuries. 

As historical events and music genres have changed, sharing political beliefs through art has remained a relevant way to connect people with movements, Campbell said. This is often seen in music, although politicians have also taken advantage of this medium to garner support from their voters.

Campbell said that political music has existed as far back as the French Revolution, but mostly came into popularity in the '60s with protest songs about the Vietnam War. 

He was in college during this time and even went to Washington D.C. to take part in a march against the war in Vietnam. Campbell added that one of the most inspiring songs for the anti-war effort during this time was "We Shall Overcome." 

Selene Contreras, a sophomore studying criminology and criminal justice, said that music is a tool in activism because it is a "universal method a lot of people relate to."

Contreras said all genres — she listens to rock, Spanish and rap music — connect people of all kinds, as they "can really portray the same message, despite how different they may sound."

Here are some of the political music recommendations given by sources in this article:

Rather than talking about political events, she said artists now often choose to discuss broad ideas like "peace and unity" in their music.

"A lot of lyrics are really just about people accepting and trying to understand people who are different," Contreras said.

Campbell said that artists do this to attract bigger audiences. 

"If you want to form the broadest coalition, you can't take an extreme position," he said.

Why music is straying from activism

Royce Kim, a junior studying popular music who also makes hip-hop music, said the art form has helped him understand and relate to struggles around him.

"Music has definitely helped me in situations where I was struggling or going through rough seasons," he said. "It also gives me encouragement."

Kim said that this has been demonstrated for him through hip-hop, which often discusses racism and helps him talk about his beliefs through music.

However, he also said that sharing these personal struggles and beliefs may not be supported by the overarching music industry, as it can affect its profit. Kim said it is avoided because it can spark controversy and can be a sensitive topic for listeners.

Anthony Scarmack, a junior studying journalism and mass communication and the director of Blaze Radio's music department, said that people will get more involved in politics if they see that their favorite artists are too. On the other hand, he said artists can face backlash from listeners and music labels for their activism.

He referenced Broadway singer Dylan Mulvaney, a transgender artist who received backlash after partnering with Bud Light, as well as Chappell Roan's comments on her choice to not endorse a presidential candidate.

"You can stay out of politics if you want, but say one thing, like Chappell Roan ... you will always be now, as well as an artist, a political figure," Scarmack said.

Kim said that musicians may be making less political music now because social media has allowed them to share their beliefs in other ways.

Scarmack shared the same sentiment.

"We see artists on so many different platforms compared to in the '60s and '70s, that we can listen to what they're saying rather than always listening to it in music."

READ MORE: Gen Z's 'brat summer': How young voters are impacting presidential campaigns

Campaigns and music 

Campbell said another way music and politics have evolved is through political campaigns using it to gather support. 

He said the first example of this was "God Save the King," which was written during a time of political turmoil in England. 

This can also be seen today, with campaigns using popular songs and guest musicians at their rallies. He said this is seen with Stevie Wonder playing at the Democratic National Convention, as well as Rufus Wainwright's negative response to Trump using his cover of "Hallelujah." 

Scarmack said using popular tracks can also help candidates reach out to younger audiences. He referenced Kamala Harris using Charli XCX's album "BRAT" in her campaigning, as well as Kid Rock playing at the Republican National Convention.

Why Activism Music Still Matters

Scarmack said that although students might not be as invested in politics, activism music can help recreate that spark Campbell said he saw in the '60s.

"Politics really does affect us, and sometimes (people) just have to get into it, but I think music is that segue to notice and get the word out of why it's happening," Scarmack said. 

Campbell said that from his time in college until now, activism would always find a place in music as long as "the appeal of the music was stronger than the resistance of the people who are trying to suppress it."

"Music is one thing that just brings us together," Contreras said. "Everybody can have their own type of music, and it's through that music that these messages can be shared to them. It's very necessary, and it's very important."

Edited by George Headley, Abigail Beck and Natalia Jarrett.

Reach the reporter at pkfung@asu.edu and follow @FungPippa on X.

Pippa FungPolitics Reporter

Pippa is a sophomore studying journalism and mass communication with minors in political science and German. This is her second semester with The State Press. She has also worked at Blaze Radio and the Los Alamos National Lab.

×