Pro-Palestine protesters march after the anniversary of Oct. 7, emphasize need for peace

Advocates gathered on the Tempe campus to vocalize their desires for justice in the Middle East

Community-march-for-gaza-lebanon.jpg
Pro-Palestine protesters march from Old Main to Tempe Beach Park on Tuesday, Oct. 8, 2024, in Tempe.

Palestine and Lebanon advocates marched in solidarity for justice on Tuesday in Tempe. The event took place a day after the one-year anniversary of an attack at a music festival in Israel on Oct. 7, 2023.

More than 100 protesters started setting up for the march at around 4:30 p.m. and began their walk to Tempe Beach Park from Old Main at around 5 p.m.

The march was organized by the Phoenix Party for Socialism and Liberation and was open to anyone wanting to participate in the movement. 

Students and community advocates participated in the protest. With flags, signs and megaphones, the pro-Palestine group vocalized their support up and down the streets while chanting for a ceasefire.

The Tempe Police Department was present "to protect the constitutional rights of those protesting, and the safety of the protesters as well as those not involved with the protest," according to a statement from Tempe PD. They also assisted with traffic control at intersections during the protest.

The ASU Police Department was also present "in an effort to ensure safety for all," according to a statement from an ASU spokesperson.

The group coordinated with both ASU PD and Tempe PD for the protest and its route, according to an ASU spokesperson.

Mikhaila Halbeck, a sophomore studying sociology, attended the march representing two student associations — the Young Democratic Socialists of America at Arizona State University and Students for Justice in Palestine.

As an organization, SJP's goal is to continue fighting for Palestine and an end to the conflict, Halbeck said. Aligning with the goals of SJP, she said the purpose of this protest was to "bring awareness to the Palestinian genocide currently going on and to spread momentum on campus."

"I don't want to see the momentum die down and for mass death and genocide to become normalized," Halbeck said. "I feel that there's little to no representation (in media). I don't think it's considered an important issue." 

Halbeck said students who want to get involved in the movement should attend SJP meetings, and support other organizations like those involved with the Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions movement to end international support for Israel. 

"I think institutions like ASU have a responsibility to not fund genocide and to listen to their students and their students' desires," Halbeck said. 

Kristin Caynor, a pro-Palestine protester, attended the march on her own, wanting to show support for the cause. 

"For me, it's supporting my friends, supporting peace and supporting justice in the world," Caynor said. 

Caynor also said the short-term goal of the movement would be for a ceasefire and "for people to stop dying," so there can be "a just and lasting peace."

Edited by George Headley, Abigail Beck, Alysa Horton and Natalia Jarrett.

Reach the reporters at tjsoren2@asu.edu and nrodri74@asu.edu and follow @teannaJsorensen on X. 

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on X.

Teanna SorensenPolitics Reporter

Teanna is a freshman studying journalism and mass communication. This is her first semester with The State Press. She has also worked at Utah Bride and Groom Magazine and as a National Youth Correspondent for the Washington Journalism and Media Conference. 

×