Public art takes a unique role in uniting the Phoenix communities

Students and artists discuss the impact that murals have in Downtown Phoenix

The Echo-murals-transform-communities.jpg

Mural by Miles "El Mac" MacGregor and Thomas "Breeze" Marcus on the corner of Monroe Street and First Avenue on Monday, Oct. 7, 2024, in Phoenix.

Murals are the lifeblood of arts and culture in big cities. They sprawl across New York City and Los Angeles, but in Phoenix, murals are starting to play a larger role in the city landscape.

In the midst of a beige desert filled with cookie-cutter homes, Downtown Phoenix sticks out like a colorful sore thumb. The early 2020s have brought rise to a new host of artwork that decorates even the most mundane pieces of architecture, like trash cans or electrical boxes.

Phoenix has always had a culture of visual art that stands apart from other cities, thanks to its surrounding atmosphere.

"I love seeing the mix of both the cultural heritage, including Latino and Native American artists and references in artwork, as well as the desert flora and fauna being woven into murals," said Andrea Peterson, a local muralist. "It's really like a celebration of the area, the beauty and richness of the area."

One of Peterson's favorite murals, created by Thomas "Breeze" Marcus, depicts a young Onk Akimel O'odham woman from the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community holding a rose. The young woman's contemporary clothing signifies that she lives in the present, but is still connected to her tradition. 

Murals like this spread ideas and facilitate conversation, but sometimes their purpose doesn't need to be complex — they're simply there to beautify the urban landscape.

"(Art) can spark conversations," Peterson said. "It can kind of bring communities together. And not only beautifying the areas but bringing people together by making a space a little more visually appealing — whether it's in the park or inside of a building or a bus stop — it immediately elevates that space."

Public art like this also helps under-represented communities to be heard.

"It allows people to have a voice," said Drew Rogers, a junior studying graphic design. "I always say that art speaks louder than words. Native communities are able to express their customs and their message."

Murals can enhance everything from post offices to garbage bins. The colorful designs contrast against the dry desert landscape and make ordinary tasks and spaces into something that is worth enjoying, or at least visually appealing. 

"There's so much boring space everywhere," Rogers said. "And introducing art to this space has just such an effect on people ... The little things, like the trash cans, can make such a big difference." 

In a city with over a million people, artists in the downtown area still seem to know and support each other in a way that feels reminiscent of a small town.

"(Art) turns Phoenix into a warm, inviting, welcoming space," said Julia Bognar, a junior studying graphic design. "It's so lively. It's really energetic like there's a certain energy that it brings to the community, which I really like to be a part of." 

Art brings people together, and public art can make an essential part of the human experience accessible to everyone.

"Sometimes art can't be very accessible to people," Bognar said. "I just love that a mural is for everyone to see and view and experience."

Edited by Tiya Talwar, Andrew Dirst, Sophia Braccio and Madeline Schmitke.

Reach the reporter at ebmosier@asu.edu and follow @eleribmosier on X.

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on X.

Eleri MosierThe Echo Reporter

Eleri is a senior studying interdisciplinary studies, english and sociology. This is her second semester with The State Press. She has also worked in retail.

×