Local Hispanic-owned restaurants: Where to find homemade authenticity

Honoring National Hispanic Heritage Month through Hispanic cuisine

Community-Hispanic-Owned-Restaurants.jpg

Local Hispanic-owned restaurants on Thursday, Oct. 3, 2024, in Tempe and Phoenix.

For many Hispanic students going to college means leaving home and the familiar comforts that come with it — family, friends, customs, traditional meals. 

As these students adjust to their new lives, many find themselves missing the flavors and traditions they grew up with. Many said most restaurants don't seem to capture that homemade authenticity. Luckily for students living near the Tempe and Downtown campus, there are hidden gems that offer the familiarity of home.  

Rosita's Fine Mexican Food  

Rosita's Fine Mexican Food restaurant in Tempe on Thursday, Oct. 3, 2024.

Located about 10 minutes from the Tempe campus, sits a family-owned and operated restaurant called Rosita's Fine Mexican Food

The restaurant started in 1963 when Rosa Keeme, also known as Mama Rosa, moved to Tempe from Sonora, Mexico with her five children. After nearly 60 years her restaurant became an integral part of the Tempe community, according to the Rosita's Fine Mexican Food website.

Mama Rosa earned the 2006 Spirit of Tempe award and was named a historic legend. On Sept. 17, 2002, then-mayor Neil Giuliano recognized the day as Rosa Keeme Day, said Charlie Keeme, Mama Rosa's grandson.

Hispanic-owned businesses contribute significantly to Arizona's economy. In 2022-2023 there was a 10.73% increase in Hispanic-owned businesses, according to B2B Reviews. 

Charlie Keeme is the current director of operations and general manager of the restaurant. He said the restaurant does what it can in Mama Rosa's spirit because it's a legacy and they want to give back to the community like Mama Rosa did.

"When people come to Rosita's, we want them to feel like they’re coming home," Charlie Keeme said.  

Due to the restaurant's proximity to campus, Rosita's Fine Mexican Food plays a large role in the ASU community, catering to thousands of graduation parties and Hispanic convocations. Charlie Keeme said the restaurant has seen three generations of ASU students who come back for the classic Sonoran food. 

"Over the years, we’ve had a very symbiotic relationship with the students," Charlie Keeme said.  

Rosita's Fine Mexican Food is on 960 W University Dr and is open on Friday and Saturday from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m., Sundays through Thursdays from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. 

Los Reyes de la Torta 

Los Reyes de la Torta restaurant in Tempe on Thursday, Oct. 3, 2024.

Los Reyes de la Torta is inspired by Mexico City-style cooking. The main goal of the restaurant is to bring customers back to the memories of their mother's best homemade meal, according to the Los Reyes de la Torta website. 

"What we most care about is that the people who come have a good experience with the place, the food and the service," said Alejandro De La Torre, in Spanish, who has been a partner at Los Reyes de la Torta for over 20 years.

The most popular meal at Los Reyes de la Torta is steak with prickly pear, a staple in many Mexican dishes, De la Torre said. Many people often come into the restaurant asking for classic Mexican dishes, such as chimichangas, but end up trying something new and loving it, De la Torre said.

Los Reyes de la Torta is on 1528 E Southern Ave and is open on Thursdays through Tuesdays from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Mi Patio Mexican Food  

Mi Patio Mexican Food restaurant in Phoenix on Thursday, Oct. 3, 2024.

Seven minutes away from the Downtown campus is a little spot called Mi Patio Mexican Food, which translates to "my yard" in English. The restaurant opened in 1984 and has been a local landmark in downtown Phoenix since.

Elio Espinoza, the floor manager at Mi Patio Mexican Food for the last 36 years, said many customers who first came in as children now bring their children to the establishment.

To keep the restaurant going strong, Elio Espinoza works alongside Jorge Espinoza, the main chef at Mi Patio Mexican Food. One of the most popular orders is the Baja chicken burrito with homemade Baja cream cheese sauce and the Margarita la Famosa, said Elio Espinoza. 

Mi Patio Mexican Food is on 3347 N 7th Ave and is open on Sundays through Thursdays from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Fridays and Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Casa Reynoso 

Casa Reynoso restaurant in Tempe on Thursday, Oct. 3, 2024.

With the motto "mi casa es su casa," family-owned restaurant, Casa Reynoso, has been sharing its family recipes since 1938. 

JoAnne Reynoso, the chief cook at Casa Reynoso, learned how to cook from her mother through recipes passed from Reynoso's great aunt and grandmother. The establishment is most known for their Gollo Burro, a green chile burrito drenched in butter, said Reynoso. 

Currently, four generations of the Reynoso family work at Casa Reynoso in five different locations, each owned by different members of the family. 

Reynoso said she has seen children try their first rice and beans and they are now students at ASU. She said she wishes to see her kids take over one day and after them her grandchildren.  

Casa Reynoso is on 3138 S Mill Ave and is open on Tuesdays through Thursdays from 11 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. and Fridays and Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 9:30 p.m., Sundays from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. 

In the chaotic world of college, these establishments provide more than delicious meals. They are a lifeline for students to embrace their roots while building their future.   

Edited by Senna James, Sophia Ramirez, Tiya Talwar and Alysa Horton.

Reach the reporter at nrodri74@asu.edu

×