Language as connection: Student Club hosts Free English Classes, fosters community

Free English classes provide support and instill self-confidence for international students

Community-Free-English-Classes
"Immersing and connecting with a community where you don’t feel safe speaking the common language is next to impossible."

There are over 17,600 international students at ASU, according to its website.

Many speak English fluently and others know just enough to get by. Immersing and connecting with a community where you don’t feel safe speaking the common language can be next to impossible.  

"I think everybody wants to be understood," said Bob Dorsch, adviser for ASU Tempe International Students Club. "We want to be able to communicate clearly and if that doesn't happen, it's hard to be a part of the community."

Richard Jenkins volunteers his time to the program to help these students perfect their English. He said students tend to self-isolate themselves when they don’t have enough confidence to speak English.  

Dorsch has been working with international students for over 11 years. He said he hosts virtual and in-person classes open to anyone.

The International Students Club hosts his Free English Classes for international students and others looking to learn the language.

Dorsch prioritizes growing the students' confidence to speak English. Dorsch said while teaching students he asks what they struggle with the most and focuses on helping self-confidence. 

"It's easy to be quiet in a big group, getting them in smaller groups is a big thing," Dorsch said.  

In these groups, students get to ask each other questions and work on their pronunciation. Dorsch said often times encouragement helps students grow their confidence while learning.

Lydia de la Cruz, a student studying for a doctoral degree in ecology, lived in Madrid, Spain, prior to moving to Arizona. De la Cruz said one of the biggest struggles is with understanding spoken English. 

"The most challenging part of teaching these classes," Dorsch said. "Is when there is no good reason for the rules. How do you explain that?"

Dorsch said English is a difficult language because there are so many exceptions to the rules.

"One guy asked me today, he goes, 'In the name Pacific Ocean there's three of the letter C, and each C is pronounced differently,'" Dorsch said. 

Dorsch said it is important for these students to have English skills that are more than "just functional enough".

Edu Mendoza, a freshman studying mathematics education, comes from Sonora, Mexico. Mendoza said these classes are important for international students because they "allow connection with people from other places." 

Mendoza has attended two of Dorsch's classes and credits them for teaching new vocabulary. De La Cruz attended three classes and said these classes help international students connect with the English language. Both students said they have had positive experiences with the classes and plan to continue attending them. 

Jenkins and Dorsch said they have a passion and commitment to English proficiency while also creating a community of support where they can learn and be understood. 

The 17,600 international students contribute to ASU's vibrant and diverse campus culture. Dorsch's Free English Classes facilitate conversations for those who aspire to connect and learn through the English language. 

Edited by Senna James, Sophia Ramirez, Tiya Talwar and Natalia Jarrett.

Reach the reporter at nrodri74@asu.edu

×