ASU students encounter man with a gun near Gordon Commons dorm

A subject with a gun was reported on the Downtown campus early Monday morning, according to ASU Police

Community-gun-at-gordoncommons

Gordon Commons, formerly known as Taylor Place, one of the only dorm buildings in downtown Phoenix, on Wednesday, June 14, 2023.

Three female ASU students encountered a man with a firearm outside of Gordon Commons at the Downtown Phoenix campus on Monday, according to an ASU Police spokesperson. 

At approximately 1:05 a.m., the students were walking on Taylor Street when they yelled at a car for running through a stop sign. The two individuals in the car heard the students and turned around to follow them, according to the ASU Police spokesperson.

The students ran back to the residence hall and the two males exited the car — one with a firearm — and asked the students "if they had a problem," the ASU Police spokesperson said. 

The individuals then stepped back into the car and drove off. The ASU Police spokesperson said the incident was isolated and did not escalate any further. 

"I honestly thought it was actually insane because how would a person with a gun (be on campus) and why would they be on a college campus?" said Madison Wright, a resident of Gordon Commons and a freshman studying nursing. "It was just very random but very scary because the chances of anything that would have happened was very high for sure."

Wright said due to the Downtown Phoenix campus' openness, anything could happen. 

"If you must walk around the city late at night or early in the morning, it is best to do so in a group," the ASU Police spokesperson said. "These students did that correctly. We highly encourage students to contact police immediately when they see someone doing something suspicious or illegal, as opposed to handling it themselves."

Both community directors for Gordon Commons were unable to provide comment at this time.

Anyone can report suspicious activity by using the LiveSafe app, calling ASU Police Dispatch for non-emergencies at 480-965-3456, or contacting dispatch through the blue light Emergency Call Boxes located on all ASU campuses and parking areas. For emergencies, dial 911.

This story is developing and may be updated.

Edited by George Headley, Sophia Braccio, Alexis Heichman and Natalia Jarrett.

Reach the reporter at sjames51@asu.edu and follow @sennajames_ on X.

Senna JamesCommunity Editor

Senna is a sophomore studying journalism and mass communication with a minor in Spanish. This is her third semester with The State Press. 

×