A green guide to ASU

From dining to game day and more, how can students be more sustainable?

Community-asu-sustainability-guide

"ASU ranked No. 1 in the United States and No. 2 in the world for its sustainability practices by the STARS Sustainable Campus Index and No. 1 by Times Higher Education’s United Nations Sustainable Development Goals."

ASU is known for being No. 1 in innovation but the University makes just as big of an impact in sustainability. 

This year, ASU ranked No. 1 in the United States and No. 2 in the world for sustainability practices by the STARS Sustainable Campus Index

All ASU campuses have earned Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design certificates, signifying the buildings are aligned with the goals of the green building rating system.  

Blue Martin, the director of Nature at ASU and a senior studying biological science (conservation biology and ecology), said it's important for the University and students to prioritize sustainability on campus. 

"It's kind of the goal of modern times," Martin said. "Going into the future, in the face of climate change and environmental degradation, it's kind of the unifying and obvious route that we need to go into as a society."

The University has implemented many ways for students to get involved with campus sustainability. 

Green Games

Zero Waste at ASU designates sports games throughout the year as a "Green Game" to promote recycling and reducing waste. 

Melissa Uriarte, a freshman studying civil engineering, worked with ASU Zero Waste to hand out vouchers for refillable cups at the recent home football game against Kansas University, the most recent "Green Game."

"(Zero Waste) promotes recycling and encourages (attendees) to recycle," Uriarte said. "Global warming is a real thing and we need to help protect our planet so it doesn't get worse."

Nilesh Tiwari, a graduate student studying construction management and a worker at the Mountain America Stadium concession stands, said the University is trying to promote reusable cups to incorporate recycling and sustainability in ASU's culture. 

"We are trying our best to adopt a zero-waste culture," Tiwari said. 

Engrained Café

Located on the second floor of the Memorial Union, students can go to Engrained Café for locally a sourced and eco-friendly menu. 

According to the website, from the menu to appliances used, the cafe prioritizes sustainability, low waste and fair trade.

"I think a lot of times when you're talking about sustainability, there's the human component of it," Martin said. "It's making the world and our use of natural resources sustainable for future generations."

Recycle vs. Waste 

On every trash can, Zero Waste at ASU added graphics and lists of what items are compost, landfill or recyclable. 

According to the Zero Waste website, knowing the difference in which bin to use can make a large impact on the environment and prevent long-lasting greenhouse gases. 

For when students are off campus and want to practice sustainability, the department has a waste directory that teaches students which bin to throw trash in and why. 

"I think it starts with awareness about sustainable practices," Martin said. 

Clubs 

Martin said the best and easiest way for students to get involved with sustainability is by participating in their community. 

Through Nature at ASU, students can attend meetings, lectures and activities to "build, empower and unite the environmentally minded students at ASU," Martin said. 

"Joining a community of people who care about sustainability can be a really great way (to start)," Martin said. "I think probably the best way, outside of just being aware of it, is sharing that experience with other people." 

Edited by Senna James, Sophia Braccio and Natalia Jarrett.

Reach the reporter at alillest@asu.edu and follow @allylillestol on X.

Allison LillestolCommunity Reporter

Allison is a sophomore studying journalism and mass communication. This is her first semester at The State Press. She has also worked at Arizona PBS and Blaze Radio.

×