A new wave of anti-aging products are impacting young people

As anti-aging products become the norm, ASU community members discuss changing beauty standards

The Echo-aging-and-selfcare-repitch
"It isn't uncommon for Generation Z to feel the pressure to have these youthful features, even though they are already young."

Feeling beautiful is often the aim of self-care. However, as expectations of appearance become increasingly based on youth, the beauty industry is crossing into uncharted territory with the rise of anti-aging products and culture targeted toward already young consumers.

2024 has seen a reemergence of "thinspo," a Tumblr-borne concept that encourages people to be thinner than is humanly achievable or healthy for the body to sustain. The trend is meant to evoke a child-like appearance, even if the consumer's childhood is long gone.

It isn't uncommon for Generation Z to feel the pressure to have these youthful features, even though they are already young. In fact, two thirds of women feel pressured to look young, regardless of age.

The recent sci-fi, horror movie The Substance reignited the conversation with younger generations about the lengths people will go to keep their youth. 

Gen Z's successor, Generation Alpha, has been drawn to many anti-aging products like retinol serums and creams. But the truth is — getting younger isn't possible.

"Looking youthful has gotten a little bit easier and easier, and so I think that's what shifted, it's become more available to the mainstream," said Stacey Gandy, a clinical assistant professor with the School of Social Work at ASU. "It used to be something only available to the ultra-wealthy, and now it's more available."

@allyrooker Replying to @hch anti aging anxiety is the new weight loss anxiety its messing us allll up #sephora #kidsatsephora #antiaging #antiagingskincare #genalpha ♬ original sound - Ally Rooker

Products with anti-aging properties have become a part of young people's skincare regimen, sometimes without them knowing the risks. The aesthetic appeal and colorful packaging of brands like Drunk Elephant appeal to younger audiences but are designed for older skin.

"I don't think that young people should overdo it ... Harsh acids and chemicals, they can really damage their skin instead of helping with the little that they're trying to get rid of," said Claire Dorius, a sophomore studying computer information systems.

The goal of looking young isn't purely based on a nice appearance — it's also a marker of status in society. College seniors adamant about preventative botox might be subconsciously worried about leaving the academic sphere feeling "old" and slowly losing the privileges that come with being young.

"We put value in those who can produce, those who are productive members or will soon be productive members," Gandy said. "And so for many older adults who are no longer considered, or there's a view that they're not contributing to society — they're not financially producing anymore, right? And so then they lose their value and worth, and so I think that's one of the reasons why, as a society, we don't value older adults."

But debates arise when it comes to bodily autonomy, especially in the case of anti-aging. 

READ MORE: Fandom or obsession: The complicated reality of parasocial relationships

It's important to acknowledge the criticality of embracing ourselves, whether we have a facelift or not. The world can send signals that self-acceptance is "corny," but that might just be rooted in a culture that requires money to fix ourselves. 

"I really take a lot of pride in the way I dress," said Jack Ruegsegger, a sophomore studying mechanical engineering. "I feel like if I put a lot of effort into what I'm wearing in a given day, it helps me feel better about myself, because that's something I can change, whereas, something with aging — it's just naturally going to happen to all of us." 

Aging is a part of life, and for students like Ruegsegger, it can be embraced.

If you or someone you know is dealing with an eating disorder, help is available. 

The National Eating Disorder Association, 1-800-931-2237 or text "NEDA" to 741741

The National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders, 888-375-7767

Edited by Andrew Dirst, Sophia Braccio, Tiya Talwar, Alysa Horton and Madeline Schmitke.

Reach the reporter at ebmosier@asu.edu and follow @eleribmosier on X.

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on X.

Eleri MosierThe Echo Reporter

Eleri is a senior studying interdisciplinary studies, english and sociology. This is her second semester with The State Press. She has also worked in retail.

×