Following 0-1 loss to BYU, ASU women's soccer focuses on being 'mentally tough' going forward

Takeaways from the match could be helpful down the line

Sports-Womens-Soccer-Aggression-key.jpg

Then ASU sophomore midfielder Enasia Colon (10) takes a shot on goal at Sun Devil Soccer Stadium on August 31, 2023, in Tempe. ASU tied 0-0.

With the first Big 12 matchup of the season behind them, ASU women's soccer did not get its desired result. Still, the lessons learned from this game, especially surrounding their mentality in conference contests, will be pivotal moving forward. 

The Sun Devils lost a tight match 0-1 to the Cougars last Thursday and it was not the outcome that frustrated head coach Graham Winkworth, but rather the way his team responded to Brigham Young University's style of play. 

"We spent the whole week focused on receiving the ball under pressure (and) playing while under pressure," Winkworth said. "I'd rather us make mistakes trying to play that way … we've still got to be brave enough to play when teams press us."

A common theme around this loss was a lack of mental toughness, according to the team. Heading into this game, matching BYU's physicality was an area that ASU felt was key for victory but the mental aspect of the game might have gone under the radar.

Winkworth mentioned his group "moved away from the way (they) want to play soccer" against BYU and in upcoming visits to Houston and UCF, the Sun Devils just need to take it one game at a time. 

"The past few games (we've) started the game's up in the air and … it's really frantic, and the ball's being booted everywhere, and we don't know what to do, just because it is so physical," freshman midfielder Ella Kettles said. "We need to make sure that we are calm on the ball because when we're calm on the ball, then we control the game … and therefore we can play ASU soccer."

There were also major takeaways that the Sun Devils had from the BYU match that they worked on throughout practices. One drill ASU spent time on was creating and attacking space from throw-ins, as well as defending similar sets. Now, amid Big 12 play, these sets will be more important because getting the ball in the open field will be a tougher task against stronger conference defenses. 

Moving forward, the Sun Devils are trying to shrink the pitch on the defensive side to create counter-attacking possibilities. 

"When you press and you win the ball, the opposition team is open because they've had possession of the ball," Winkworth said. "You win the ball and you try to counterattack quickly."

Creating goal-scoring opportunities is the first step to getting the ball in the back of the net and ASU struggled with that against BYU. The Cougars had 22 shots, nine shots on goal and 12 corner kicks - one which led to the only goal of the match in the 43rd minute. The Sun Devils were able to muster up eight shots, with just two on goal and eight corner kicks in response. 

"We have such great defense that … did their job and us as the forwards and the midfielders, we need to do our job a little bit better," senior forward Keri Matthews said. "Just being positive on the ball and taking our chances."

Defensively, ASU held up well in the open field but their susceptibility to set pieces came back to haunt them again on the BYU corner kick. 

"We've got to find people that are going to put their face in the way of balls, break the noses — whatever it takes just to stop the ball from going in," Winkworth said. "Judging the flight of the balls is something that has been an issue ... it's not an organizational thing so it's very frustrating."

Improving that mentality and getting used to that physicality is still a work in progress but it is a skill they are trying to cultivate as a team in practice every day.

"We come together in weights and push ourselves to do more on our squats," Kettles said. She added that the team bonds while warming up before a game, such as listening to music as a group. 

Houston and UCF on the road provide a pathway for the Sun Devils to get back on track and the Sun Devils' success may come down to whether or not these mental changes are made. 

Edited by Henry Smardo, Abigail Beck and Natalia Jarrett.

Reach the reporter at pvallur2@asu.edu and follow @PrathamValluri on X.

Pratham ValluriSports Reporter

Pratham is a sophomore studying sports journalism with a minor in business. This is his second semester with The State Press. 

×