Gov. Tim Walz gives a 'Forks Up' during surprise appearance at Snakes & Lattes

During Walz's Sun Belt State Tour, the governor stopped by Snakes & Lattes in Tempe to speak to students about young voter influence

Politics-snakes-ladders-walz.jpg

Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, the Democratic vice presidential candidate, speaking in front of students at Snakes and Lattes in Tempe on Tuesday, Sept. 10, 2024.

Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, the Democratic vice presidential candidate, made a surprise appearance in front of students in Tempe. The Valley was a stop on his tour across the Sun Belt, traveling to Nevada, Texas and Arizona to appear in several political events.

The pop-up event on Sept. 10 was hosted at Snakes & Lattes, a board game café located less than a mile away from ASU's Old Main. The Harris-Walz campaign notified those who attended the event that a "special guest" was coming. Many students said they assumed it was Walz since he arrived in the state earlier this morning.

"I have always believed this," Walz said to the audience of about 50 students and other voters during the event. "Your optimism is contagious. It touches one another. We start getting out amongst people, and other people get re-engaged, and then it turns into more folks showing up to the ballot box and us winning."

Throughout his speech, he said that political needs and governance should reflect on the next generation and emphasized his goal of making politics hopeful again.

"It's so important too that people who are trying to get the young vote show up for the young people," said Gabriela Chen, a junior studying history and political science.

While waiting for the event to begin, Chen sat making ASU-colored friendship bracelets at her table alongside Macy Edwards, a senior studying communications. Edwards said she is working with a group of students to create an organization on campus for the Harris-Walz campaign, named "Sun Devils for Harris," and is in the process of legitimizing the club at ASU. 

Edwards said she was reminded of her patriotism after watching the Democratic National Convention, and realized that being a patriot and a Democrat were "not mutually exclusive."

"They've done a fantastic job reaching out to young voters, whether it be through social media or engagements like these," Jose Romo, a junior studying finance, said. "I think in the past, you've not really seen candidates reach out that way, so I think they're really speaking to the young voters that haven't felt heard in the past."

Several students who attended the event were involved with Young Democrats at ASU.

"The vice president candidate is showing up, trying to speak with students, know what they care about, know what they want — that shows such a major shift," said Jacob Hill, a senior studying biological sciences and the growth and diversity officer of Young Democrats at ASU.

Hill said understanding social media engagement is "really important" for candidates looking to attract young voters.

READ MORE: Gen Z's 'brat summer': How young voters are impacting presidential campaigns

Walking into the café, Walz was introduced by Arianna Toscano, a junior studying political science. Walz spoke in front of a backdrop of bookshelves, Harris-Walz posters and a giant crown with the words, "Game On!"

Gillian McSheffrey, a junior studying economics and the secretary of Young Democrats at ASU, said Walz's appearance shows his humility in connecting with young voters and his effort to engage in communities.

Walz said students should encourage their friends who are undecided to vote, get involved and be engaged in the election. He also stressed the significance of the current election cycle.

"We have a responsibility to show them that we settle our differences at the ballot box, not through violence," Walz said. "We settle our differences by fair and free elections, and then we make policies that impact the largest number of people."

He also said that he could not stress enough the distinction between both political parties and him and his running rival, J.D. Vance. In his speech, he offered the Republican vice presidential candidate  a "pro-tip" to "shut the hell up about talking about women."

Walz ended his speech with ASU's "Forks Up," joking that he will find it difficult to not go up to people and tell them to "Fork 'em." He shook students' hands after his speech, while Hope Walz, his daughter, went around to tables near the entrance to talk to students. 

"Keep on working it because when we wake up on that 57th day, so many positive things fall into place," Walz said. "And I'm going to say this: as a girl dad, Madam President sounds damn good."

Edited by Sophia Braccio, Abigail Beck and Alysa Horton.

Reach the reporter at gheadle@asu.edu and @George_Headley7 on X.

George Headley Politics Editor

George is a sophomore studying journalism and mass communication. This is his third semester with The State Press. He has also worked at Times Media Group.

×