UPDATE: ASU student faces charges of first degree attempted murder for alleged stabbing

Kaci Sloan is currently in police custody with bail set at $250,000

Stabbing Update Breaking News .jpg

Police officials set up a crime scene perimeter outside of the Sands Classroom Building on Thursday Sept. 19, 2024 in Glendale.

ASU student Kaci Sloan was taken into ASU Police custody after allegedly stabbing another student in class Thursday morning at approximately 11:45 a.m., a University spokesperson said. 

The incident occurred on the West Valley campus within the Sands Classroom Building, according to an ASU Police report submitted to the North Valley Justice Court. When the victim entered classroom 101, Sloan allegedly ran from her desk and attacked the victim with a knife, according to a witness' statement in the police report.

The victim was stabbed multiple times on the left side of her body "without provocation or any words spoken" before two witnesses intervened and physically restrained Sloan, according to the police report. The witnesses consisted of approximately 13 individuals — including a professor and students — according to the report. 

The victim's injuries where not life-threatening and she was taken to Banner Thunderbird Hospital, where she underwent surgery, according to the police report.

READ MORE: BREAKING: Student stabbed in ASU West Valley campus classroom

Officers and detectives searched Sloan's backpack and found a notebook with handwritten letters addressed to family and friends, the police report noted. The letters allegedly detailed her struggles with mental health, according to a prosecutor during her initial court hearing.

Police said Sloan admitted to coming to class "to hurt somebody and was planning the attack since the night prior." Sloan revealed that she did not know anything about the victim except for her first name, according to the police report.

Sloan currently faces charges of first degree attempted murder, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, interfering with an educational institution and disorderly conduct for the alleged incident, according to an ASU spokesperson. 

Sloan is being held in police custody on a cash bond of $250,000, according to the University. 

"This is analogous to a school shooting and the risk that you pose in the community is extreme," said Judge Jane McLaughlin, during Sloan's court hearing on Friday. 

The incident is still under investigation by ASU PD detectives. 

Sloan is an undergraduate student studying business at the W. P. Carey School of Business. The alleged incident took place prior to the beginning of a microeconomic principles class that Sloan and the victim were both taking in the Fall 2024 semester.

This story is developing and may be updated.

Edited by River Graziano, Abigail Beck and Alexis Heichman.

Reach the reporter at sjames51@asu.edu and follow @sennajames_ on X.

Senna JamesCommunity Editor

Senna is a sophomore studying journalism and mass communication with a minor in Spanish. This is her third semester with The State Press. 

×