State Press Play: ASU Outdoors club president talks about extreme heat hiking

Tune in to hear about how social media is reviving libraries and how to stay safe on the trails when the weather is hot

state-press-play-header-heat-books.jpg

Original "State Press Play." Illustration published on Thursday, Feb. 11, 2021. Additional watch party photo elements added on Saturday, Sept. 14, 2024.

State Press podcast transcripts are produced by a third-party transcription service and may contain errors. The official record for State Press podcasts is the audio. Please listen to the audio as this transcript may only contain summary forms of the given episode.

Ava Peguese: 

Welcome back to the podcast. This week we talked with Echo reporter Ellery and her article on the revival of libraries.

Connor Greenwall: 

Also, Arizona's hiking trails may be tempting, but here's what you should know about the dangers of the heat and how to protect yourself.

Ava Peguese: 

I'm Ava Peguese.

Connor Greenwall: 

I'm Connor Greenwall, and this is State Press Play.

Ava Peguese: 

I'm Ava, and I'm interviewing Eleri Mosier, a reporter from the Echo Desk. Her article, "Return of Libraries - Social Media Creates Reading Revival," discusses how students are bringing libraries back to life. Hi, Eleri. How are you today?

Eleri Mosier: 

I'm good. How are you doing?

Ava Peguese: 

I'm doing well. Thank you. What inspired you to write about the resilience of literature and libraries in the digital age.

Eleri Mosier: 

I've always loved reading. I honestly didn't get back into it until maybe a few months ago, and the more that I think about it, I realize that libraries are one of the most important parts of the framework of cities. Like, you can go anywhere and just rent something, which I think is so important like I don't want things taking up space in my house and I can go to a library and rent a piece of physical media, I can take it home and then if I don't like it I can just take it back and especially for school that can be such a useful resource because books are expensive and it's a way for me to get access to things that you know would usually cost a bazillion dollars and I don't want to pay that.

Ava Peguese: 

What genre of books do you enjoy the most?

Eleri Mosier: 

I really like memoirs but I'm also a big fiction person. I really don't know where I stand on that. I've been kind of just exploring and seeing which ones I like. I just read this book called Good Material. I finished it like today on the bus and I was in shock I was like this is so good and it's like about a guy who's like 35 and he just like went through a breakup I was like why do I like this but I recommend it.

To here more from Eleri, please tune in to State Press Play.

READ MORE: Return of libraries: Social media creates reading renaissance

Connor Greenwall: 

I'm Connor Greenwall and I'm here with Grant Phillips. Grant is the president of the Adventure Devils. He is a sophomore studying business, language, and culture. He is here to talk about hiking in Arizona and the dangers of the heat. Grant, to get started, can you tell me a bit about the adventure devils?

Grant Phillips: 

Yes, of course. So adventure devils is a club for all students at ASU. Three of our main things are hiking, camping, and backpacking. We also do some water related activities such as salt river tubing and kayaking. So, we pretty much do all different types of outdoor activities, and we don't have any meetings and we don't charge any dues, pretty much all we do is go on trips together. 

Connor Greenwall: 

What is your level of hiking experience?

Grant Phillips: 

Advanced. There's always more to learn. You can always be in better shape, but I've been doing this for a lot of years, so yeah, I would definitely say advanced.

Connor Greenwall: 

And what got you interested in hiking in the outdoors?

Grant Phillips: 

Originally, it was my dad. My dad is a pretty big outdoors guy as well. When I was a kid, he had a goal of climbing this mountain in California called Mount Whitney. And when he was training for that, he started to bring me along on all the training hikes that he would do. And that's how I originally got involved in the activity. 

To hear more from Grant, please tune in to State Press Play.

Ava Peguese: 

I'm Ava Peguese.

Connor Greenwall: 

And I'm Connor Greenwall. State Press Play is produced by our podcast desk editor, Kylie Saba. Our original music is by Ellie Willard and Jake LaRoux.

Ava Peguese: 

Special thanks to our managing team, Morgan Kubasko and Matthew Marengo

Connor Greenwall: 

You can check out all these stories and more on statepress.com. See you next week.

×