Anxiety among first-time voters, ASU provides solutions

While voting can seem like a daunting task for first-time voters, the University has resources to combat this stress

Politics-First-Year-Voting-Anxiety
Arizona State is aware of the uncertainty that some first year voters can experience.

For a first-time voter, or even a registered voter who has not voted in primary elections before, the 2024 election can seem intimidating. 

It's the first time that so many of Generation Z will be using their voices and casting their votes. This can cause some anxiety for young voters. 

"It's very new to me, and I don't know much about it," said Carmen Wehbe, a freshman studying nursing. "I feel like that brings some stress."

Election day is Nov. 5. Voters can cast their ballots in-person at the polls or through the mail. 

It can be difficult to navigate all the things that come with voting for the first time. Alberto Olivas is the founding director of Pastor Center for Politics and Public Service at ASU. He said learning enough about the candidates, getting information from credible sources and understanding what's on the ballot can all play a part in voter anxiety. However, there are many resources that the University has for students to help decrease political stress. 

The Pastor Center encourages students to get involved in political participation. They host events for students, including a behind-the-scenes tour of the Maricopa County election department on Sep. 20. 

"It can be overwhelming," said Olivas, a former Arizona voter outreach director. "Many studies over time have shown that the main reason that a lot of people don't vote is not actually attitude, it's not that they're apathetic or they don't care. They just don't have enough information to be able to make a decision."

Olivas said that a piece of advice he would give to first-time voters is to sign up to receive the ballot by mail.

Receiving the ballot by mail allows for the voter to research and take the time to truly understand what is on it, according to Olivas. 

Biased information can also create stress for first-time voters, according to Elizabeth Ayala, a freshman studying kinesiology

"Sometimes people who are first-time voters like me, they can't really differentiate what's biased and what's not," said Ayala.

ASU is aware of the uncertainty that some first-year voters can experience. The University is launching a new unit titled the Mechanics of Democracy Lab, created by a Maricopa County supervisor Bill Gates. The lab will be housed by the Watts College of Public Service and Community Solutions. 

"A big part of our education is being engaged citizens, so voting and civic participation is an important thing to practice while at university," said Shannon Portillo, director of the School of Public Affairs and a collaborator of the lab.

The lab is fairly new to University campuses, but they are planning on hosting events in local communities that will help citizens engage in conversations about election administrations, according to Portillo. There will also be a new course introduced at ASU called Elections, Reforms and Voter Engagement. This course will be available for all students starting in Session B of classes this Fall. 

“Engagement in democracy isn't just about voting," said Portillo. "Voting is really important, but making sure that we're educating ourselves about the policies and staying involved in our communities is the most important thing.” 

The lab aims to help students feel confident and comfortable about political processes and participating in these processes. Olivas said that by helping students to understand these processes, they are more prepared to teach others as well. 

Edited by: George Headley, Sophia Ramirez and Madeline Schmitke.

Reach the reporter at tjsoren2@asu.edu and follow @teannaJsorensen on X 

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on X

Teanna SorensenPolitics Reporter

Teanna is a freshman studying journalism and mass communication. This is her first semester with The State Press. She has also worked at Utah Bride and Groom Magazine and as a National Youth Correspondent for the Washington Journalism and Media Conference. 

×