BREAKING: Hassayampa Academic Village flood leads to evacuation

A ruptured pipe flooded Hassayampa Academic Village buildings at 5:30 a.m. Friday

Community-hassayampa-flood-evacuated.jpg
Hassayampa dorms on Friday, Sep. 20, 2024 in Tempe.

Students evacuated buildings in the Hassayampa Academic Village as the second floor of the G wing flooded on Friday at approximately 5:30 a.m., according to an ASU Police spokesperson.

ASU Police arrived on the scene after being notified of an alarm in Building G, an ASU Police spokesperson said. A responding officer found a ruptured pipe on the second floor that caused the flood. Facilities management was able to close the pipe soon after, a University spokesperson said.

Residences were notified with a fire alarm to vacate Hassayampa Academic Village Buildings G, H and F, said Michelle Mayes, a Building H resident and a freshman studying business.

She said multiple false fire alarms this semester made residents question whether the alarm was real before evacuating.

Mayes, who lives on the fifth floor, said she saw sprinklers going off and "water everywhere" while leaving the building.

Students waited outside the buildings for approximately 30 minutes before being allowed back inside, Mayes added. 

This story is developing and may be updated.

Edited by Jack Barron, Abigail Beck and Natalia Jarrett.

Reach the reporters at sjames51@asu.edu and gheadle@asu.edu and follow @sennajames_ and @George_Headley7 on X.

Senna JamesCommunity Editor

Senna is a sophomore studying journalism and mass communication with a minor in Spanish. This is her third semester with The State Press. 

George Headley Politics Editor

George is a sophomore studying journalism and mass communication. This is his third semester with The State Press. He has also worked at Times Media Group.

×