San Francisco 49er and former ASU Sun Devil Ricky Pearsall shot during attempted robbery

The former ASU football player was released from the hospital on Sunday following the altercation Saturday afternoon

Ricky Breaking.jpg

Then junior wide receiver Ricky Pearsall (19) runs the ball in for a touchdown at the Territorial Cup game against UA at Sun Devil Stadium on Saturday, Nov. 27, 2021. ASU defeated UA 38-15. Illustration elements added Saturday, Aug. 31, 2024.

San Francisco 49ers rookie Ricky Pearsall, a standout ASU football player before his time with the NFL, was shot during an attempted robbery in downtown San Francisco on Saturday afternoon, according to the San Francisco Police Department.

The incident occurred around 3:37 p.m. near the intersection of Geary Street and Grant Avenue. Officers responding to the scene discovered two men suffering from injuries and promptly provided medical aid. Both individuals were transported to a local hospital for further evaluation, as stated in a news release from the SFPD.

According to the statement, the incident began when a man attempted to rob Pearsall. During the incident, there was a physical struggle resulting in injuries to both Pearsall and the suspect. Pearsall suffered a bullet wound to the chest and was in serious, but stable condition when he was brought to the hospital, according to a statement from the San Francisco 49ers.

Pearsall was released from San Francisco General Hospital on Sunday afternoon, according to a social media statement from the team.

The suspect, a 17-year-old from Tracy, California, is currently in custody with charges pending. A charging decision is expected to be made on either this upcoming Tuesday or Wednesday in a juvenile court, according to a statement made by District Attorney Brooke Jenkins at a press conference.

"My thoughts are with Ricky and his family at this time. We will provide more updates, including on his condition, as I receive them," said San Francisco Mayor London Breed in a statement on social media.

The incident remains under active investigation, according to the SFPD.

The Tempe native played for the Sun Devils for 3 seasons as a key member of the offense. Pearsall then went on to finish his collegiate career with the Florida Gators before being drafted as a first-round pick in the NFL.

The University and ASU's athletic department have not yet responded to a request for comment.

Editor's Note: An update was added at 1:30 p.m. on Sept. 2 to clarify Pearsall's condition. This is a developing story and may be updated. 

Edited by River Graziano, Sophia Ramirez and Alexis Heichman

Reach the reporter at dmanatou@asu.edu.

×