President Crow tells ASU students to "Take action and get help" at Polytechnic campus forum

President Crow encourages University students to seize their opportunities at his first forum of the year

Politics-Crow-Student-Forum

ASU president Michael Crow (right) and USG-P President Shaurya Manglik (left), discuss the future of ASU's four campuses at Cooley Ballroom in the Student Union on the Polytechnic Campus on Tuesday Sept. 10, 2024 in Mesa.

For the first student forum of the school year, ASU President Michael Crow spoke to students about the future of the four campuses, resources for marginalized students and seizing opportunities the University offers.

The forum was hosted Tuesday morning by Associated Students of ASU and moderated by Undergraduate Student Government Polytechnic President Shaurya Manglik, a junior studying engineering.

Future of the campuses

Crow said under the ASU Health Initiative, led by Dr. Sherine Gabriel, two new schools are being developed: The School of Medicine and Advanced Medical Engineering and the School of Public Health Technology.

"The medical school takes about three years to design, accredit and launch, so there's a long-term accreditation process," Crow said. "It won't be ready for students at the earliest, until 2026."

Crow said on the West Valley campus ASU opened two new residence hall buildings and a new academic building, but most of the campus has unused space. He also said the planning cycles need to be accelerated and the University needs to find ways to make it happen.

He said the Polytechnic campus is a site where learning is done in different pathways — "by doing, by building and by teaming." It is a different learning culture than the rest of the University, so he is looking to expand the campus to 15,000 students and "grow the research intensification."

One student asked a question regarding the University's collaboration with OpenAI, and how this could change the undergraduate degrees at ASU. 

READ MORE: ASU leaders explain University's relationship with OpenAI

"We're building an AI tool, for instance, for the new virtual reality alien zoo element that we have in three biology courses," Crow said. "So you're in the class, they built an AI system that isn't open to just all the knowledge that's out there, where you get hallucinations and all kinds of other things."

Resources for marginalized groups

Topics of concern brought up by students were about those who feel marginalized and who are seeking a safe environment.

"If you feel marginalized, or you feel like you're struggling, or you feel like you're not finding your pathway to success, raise your hand, we're going to help you," said Crow.

According to Manglik, seven students asked a question regarding the absence of an LGBTQ+ student resource center, instead what exists is an  "outdated websites and the (Multicultural Communities of Excellence) spaces, which is poorly advertised."

"I'd love to hear what the Queer student group needs to feel that they're able to communicate broadly or successfully," said Crow.

Crow then introduced Joanne Vogel, the vice president of Student Services with Educational Outreach and Student Services at ASU, to speak on additional information for LGBTQ+ students.

"There are recommendations or things that need to be done," Vogel said. "I heard one in that question, which is to update websites and materials and resources, certainly something that we will put (on) top of the list to make sure students know where to go."

"Take action and get help"

As a public university, Crow said he encourages students to take part in politics, but will not allow the organizations within ASU to take a stance on issues and politicians.

"We don't take political positions," said Crow. "We don't take political views, but we do respond to the consensus outcomes and decisions of the government of the United States in this Republic."

University resources such as paid employee time, computers, buildings and office supplies are prohibited from being used in a way to "speak in favor of or against a candidate or ballot proposition or proposed or pending legislation in their 'official capacity' or on behalf of the university," according to an email sent by ASU on Tuesday.

"I'm 100% certain that very few students seize all of their opportunities because it's hard for them to know exactly where they are in time and space," said Crow.

Crow said students have access to the library, referencing the hundreds of people who work there — guidance counselors, mental health counselors, career counselors and medical advisors. 

"It's an unlimited environment," said Crow. "You should take full advantage of it, you should live like there's no tomorrow, consuming everything you could possibly consume from the University."

Tor Hague, a freshman studying history and the chief of staff for the USG-P, said he agreed with Crow's comments about taking action at the University. 

"I took what President Crow said into heart, and I took my chance on trying to get hired here at the campus, and it seemed (taking action) got me into this position," Hague said.

Edited by George Headley, Sophia Braccio, Tiya Talwar and Natalia Jarrett.

Reach the reporter at elbradfo@asu.edu and follow @emmalbradford__ on X.

Emma BradfordPolitics Reporter

Emma is a sophomore studying journalism and mass communication and political science, with a minor in business. This is her second semester with The State Press. 

×