Gamers unite and create long-lasting friendships through video games

ASU students express how video games have changed their lives for the better

Community-Mario-Kart-Bonding.png

"If you have fun if you're having fun playing games, you shouldn't feel bad about it."

College life is thought to lose students in textbooks and studying; however, this group of gamers found themselves lost in the world of video games. 

Many students create new relationships through clubs, mutual friends and other gaming-focused opportunities around campus. 

"I met some people and we played for years but it was funny because I never really got their names," said Caedan Reznik, a freshman studying international relations. "We all called each other by our usernames but we knew each other for years."  

The University offers a variety of ways for students to get involved in gaming, but many choose to stick to their roots and bring their own gaming consoles to college. According to Reznik, those wanting to be competitive can participate in E-sports at ASU or visit a location geared specifically toward PC gamers, such as Level Up Gaming.

"(E-sport clubs) focus on being competitive, and you really need to win; I'm not good enough to do that," Reznik said. "So (the Video Game Book Club) was pretty nice where you can just talk about it, enjoy it, rather than having to focus and win all the tournaments."

The Video Game Book Club connects those who share a passion for gaming. Each month, the club picks a video game for everyone to play and later gathers members to share opinions, thoughts and memories.

Reznik said playing Roblox and Civilization VI influenced him to pick international relations as his major. The gameplay and decision-making required in the games fascinated him.

"All throughout high school, I didn't really know what I wanted to do in college," Reznik said. "My senior year, I started playing Civilization VI. It was quite fun because I was playing and managing diplomacy."

For other students, like Syed Hamza Ayaz, a junior studying astrophysics, video games helped him learn English. Being from Saudi Arabia, he said he learned and improved his English before most of his peers at 7 years old.

"It helped me gain new friends and it was a very easy way for us to talk because we all have something in common," Ayaz said. "Video games are such a deep world."

Students join the Video Game Book Club to meet more gamers, socialize and share thoughts about different video games. 

"It's fun being around gamers. They are my people," Ayaz said. "They understand it, so it's kind of fun to meet with people who like the same thing."

Everyone has different types of personalities and preferences, especially when it comes to going out. Ayaz said he would rather stay inside to play video games because there is a game for everyone's liking.  

"You can have a really good time with your friends playing a game and (video games) will cost a lot less," said Ayaz. "If you're having fun playing games, you shouldn't feel bad about it."

READ MORE: A Sun Devil outing: The guide to fun places to visit in Tempe

While Manuelito Bagasina, a senior studying data science, has slowed down playing games while in college, he said gaming did have a small impact on him while growing up.

Bagasina sees video games as a way to occupy time more than relationship builders or bonding time with friends. 

"I don't know if it's wasted time or spent time but either way it occupied our time," Bagasina said. "Some games left a philosophical mark on me. "The Walking Dead" basically taught me how choices matter and interpersonal relationships, that kind of stuff."

Edited by Senna James, Alysa Horton and Natalia Jarrett.

Reach the reporter at glmcfar1@asu.edu and follow @ginia_mcfarland on X.

Ginia McFarlandCommunity Reporter

Ginia is a junior studying journalism and mass communication with a minor in criminology. This is her third semester with The State Press. She has also worked at Arizona Capital Times and KTAR News. 

×