Commuters' guide to finding the perfect ride

Tips and tricks for the best ways in and out of campus

Community-commuter-involvement-guide.png

"Whether student drive themselves or use the shuttles, many have learned through experience the best and safest ways to get to campus." 

With raging traffic, crammed parking and random detours, students seek innovative ways to commute.

Whether students drive themselves or use the shuttles, many have learned through experience the best and safest ways to get to campus. 

"Palm Walk was kind of my best friend; it's super convenient," said Courtney Khalouf-Rahuba, a sophomore studying political science. "If you go down Palm Walk, then you're kind of right in the center (of Tempe campus) and you can find your way from there." 

Drivers

Between rush hour and freeway traffic, many drivers have to plan their days around their commutes. 

Evelyn Moore, a sophomore studying philosophy, has commuted both years. She moved closer to school to shorten her commute.

"Because I live closer I spend a lot less time in my car, again 45 minutes every day is a hell of a commute both ways," Evelyn Moore said. 

Students can find updates about closures from the ADOT AZ511 for traffic updates. If students are planning on driving on freeways over the weekend, they can visit the ADOT Weekend Freeway Travel Advisory 

Evelyn Moore suggests blocking class schedules to not have to go back and forth between home and campus. 

"I get everything done in like three hours (or) four hours on campus, and I'm done for the day," Evelyn Moore said. 

Many ASU students take classes on multiple campuses, and they can find themselves leaving earlier than planned when going to a new place or campus. 

"You need to leave 15 minutes before you think you do if you're just starting out. Whenever you have a new route, 15 minutes early, believe me," Evelyn Moore said. 

ASU offers cross-parking for students who have purchased an on-campus parking permit. Permits range from $300-$1000 depending on location, according to ASU Parking and Transportation Services.

Shuttles

During the week, ASU intercampus shuttles run either every fifteen minutes or hourly. These shuttles travel across all four valley-metro campuses. On the weekend or over summer the shuttles run every two hours.

Students can find live updates about shuttles on X, formerly known as Twitter.

Cian Moore, a freshman studying sustainability, recommends arriving early to find a good seat and checking to ensure they are taking the correct bus. 

The University provides four different routes: the Mercado, Polytechnic-Tempe, Tempe-Downtown Phoenix-West, and Tempe-West Express. 

Cian Moore said he often uses the shuttles to get to the West Valley campus when he wishes to go home or attend other functions. 

"It gets cramped during the more busy hours of the school day, but otherwise just get there early, make sure you know where the bus is going because it does display where it's going on the side," Cian Moore said. 

Shuttles schedules are tracked on ASU Shuttles RiderPortal. Cian Moore said he consistently checks shuttle arrival times to find "the most optimal bus". 

Available to everyone, the Valley Metro provides light rail, streetcar and bus routes between campuses until midnight. 

"The security (guards) are on the metro all the time so that's good for safety but also they are going to ask for your ticket," Khalouf-Rahuba said.

ASU also offers the U-Pass, a one-time purchase for unlimited rides on the Valley Metro. 

"The Metro is also really helpful," Khalouf-Rahuba said. "I'm from Pennsylvania and the public transportation is so bad there, so to me, the public transportation here is pretty good."

Walking

Many students living close, or on campus, choose walking instead of using a car or bus to avoid traffic and public transit hassles.  

Cian Moore prefers to walk around the Tempe campus and will most likely continue throughout his college years.

In the heat, students use bikes, scooters and skateboards to make the route faster. There are many bike and skateboard racks around campuses to lock up personal belongings and ASU even offers a bike valet service.

While the commute can seem intimidating at first, the student tricks and ASU resources make every part of the ASU community reachable. 

Edited by Senna James, Sophia Ramirez and Madeline Schmitke.

Reach the reporter at glmcfar1@asu.edu and follow @ginia_mcfarland on X.

Ginia McFarlandCommunity Reporter

Ginia is a junior studying journalism and mass communication with a minor in criminology. This is her third semester with The State Press. She has also worked at Arizona Capital Times and KTAR News. 

×