ASU Football's early season roster boasts new additions, key returners

The Sun Devils 2024 roster will be a significant determining factor in ASU's success this season

Sports-Football-roster-overview
From left to right: ASU redshirt junior tight end Chamon Metayer (7), redshirt senior running back DeCarlos Brooks (25), senior running back Cam Skattebo (4), redshirt senior offensive lineman Leif Fautanu (79), and redshirt junior tight end Cameron Harpole (85) celebrate after a touchdown against Wyoming on Saturday, Aug. 31, 2024. ASU won 48-7.

In the changing landscape of college football, roster turnover is becoming a constant inevitability of the sport. Players are moving teams more frequently and more substantially than ever before.

Thus, the teams that retain key players and recruit new ones at the highest rates are the teams that are most likely to be successful. ASU's success in 2024 could largely be determined by these factors. 

This year the Sun Devil squad includes a conglomeration of old returners and new faces.  

Key Returning Players

Among ASU's most important returners is senior Cam Skattebo, who was a finalist for the Paul Hornung Award last year with 1,069 total yards and 10 total touchdowns. Skattebo broke 57 tackles last year and has rushed for a first down or touchdown on 37.2% of his carries — both of which are top 3 statistics among Football Bowl Subdivision running backs. 

If he follows last season's pattern, Skattebo will likely be ASU's most involved offensive weapon. 

Another offensive weapon returning is redshirt senior Xavier Guillory. With his 6-foot-2-inch frame, Guillory filled in as a red zone threat for ASU's offense last year finishing with 221 yards and a touchdown on 21 catches. However, Guillory was battling finger and foot injuries for much of last season, so his production may increase this season with health. 

Returning to the offensive line is redshirt senior Leif Fautanu, a pass blocker with substantial size and experience as a three-year starter. 

"Leif is the veteran leader of that group," head coach Kenny Dillingham said. "I had him select an award to be representative of what a Sun Devil is. He's a great person; he's a hard worker; he's smart; he's highly academic; he's tough; he's reliable — he's so many things that you want your entire football team to be. For him to be the focal point of our offensive line is a great starting point from a leadership standpoint."

ASU's key defensive returners are redshirt senior Prince Dorbah and graduate student Shamari Simmons. Dorbah posted 33 pressures and six sacks last year, producing the most of any Sun Devil pass rusher. Simmons played 796 snaps, the most of any ASU defender, and also posted 73 tackles, earning him the Sun Devil Football Defensive MVP of the season. 

Key Additions

No singular player can determine ASU's success this year as much as transfer redshirt freshman Sam Leavitt. As starting quarterback, Leavitt's ability to lead the offense will set the tone for the entire team. 

Leavitt made a statement in his first performance against Wyoming after throwing 258 yards with a 63.6% completion rate and two touchdowns. Dillingham said Leavitt couldn't have executed the game plan any better, as he extended plays in the pocket by scrambling and executed ASU's quick passing game efficiently. 

One of Leavitt's new targets will be senior Malik McClain from Penn State, who posted six catches for 71 yards and a touchdown with only one start last year. McClain joins a receiving core full of a variety of competent receiving options. 

Defensively, two transfer linebackers who have already made a statement in the young season are junior Keyshaun Elliott and redshirt junior Zyrus Fiaseu, as they both accounted for interceptions and also stopped running holes in the opener against Wyoming.

READ MORE: ASU football relying on deep transfer class heading into season

Key Losses

Senior Elijhah Badger will be a loss in the transfer portal for the Sun Devils. With 713 receiving yards last year, Badger accounted for almost 30% of ASU's passing game. ASU no longer has a clear-cut explosive No. 1 target in its offense.

Senior Jalin Conyers, who was second in the team for receiving yards with 362, might also be a significant loss if ASU's remaining tight ends aren't able to pick up that production. Additionally, the transfer of redshirt senior Ed Woods lessened the depth of the Sun Devil's secondary. 

Best position groups

ASU has six running backs they can play at any down and distance throughout the game. Among that group is Skattebo, redshirt senior DeCarlos Brooks, sophomore Kyson Brown, freshman Jason Brown Jr., redshirt junior Alton McCaskill, and redshirt sophomore Raleek Brown.

The defensive line boasts numerous returning pass rushers in Dorbah, redshirt junior Clayton Smith, senior Elijah O'Neal and sophomore C.J. Fite. This continuity guarantees a baseline skill level and helps build chemistry in the trenches. 

"The longer defensive linemen play together and work together, it's a lot more fluid transition," defensive line coach Diron Reynolds said. "It helps with everything, because you know what that guy next to you is going to be doing, you know his technique, and you know how long it's going to take with the timing on pass rush moves." 

Wildcard position groups

ASU's secondary has a lot of different players, but its early season lineup is not "set in stone," according to defensive backs coach Bryan Carrington

"We're a young group," Carrington said. "We have a little experience in our secondary, but not a lot, so we really have to go into Saturday with a chip on our shoulder. We have something to prove."

Another group that is a wildcard this season is the offensive line, which hopes to stay healthy after numerous injuries last year. 

Fautanu, graduate student Emmit Bohle, and redshirt senior Cade Briggs are the veteran returners, while redshirt sophomore Jalen Klemm, redshirt junior Josh Atkins and redshirt freshman Joey Su’a are the additions bringing depth this year.

Edited by Alysa Horton, Sophia Braccio and Natalia Jarrett.

Reach the reporter at jwkartso@asu.edu and follow @kartsonis3 on X.

Jack KartsonisSports Reporter

Jack is a sophomore studying sports journalism. This is his second semester with The State Press. He has also worked at other student journalism organizations.

×