Alec Benjamin comes home to Phoenix, local fans excited for upcoming concert

The singer-songwriter dissects his music and the strength of his community as local fans get ready for his tour

The Echo-alec-benjamin-concert-12-notes.jpg

Singer-songwriter Alec Benjamin on a photoshoot for his album "12 Notes" in November 2023 with Stadium Creative Group.

Alec Benjamin is making his way back to his hometown of Phoenix, guitar in hand, for the 12 Notes album tour at the Arizona Financial Theatre on Sept. 7, 2024.

"It's always good to have an excuse to come home," Benjamin said. "It's really cool to get to play at the same venues as the artists that I watched when I was younger."

Benjamin, who released his breakout song "Let Me Down Slowly" in 2018, has accumulated a sizable audience with over 15 million monthly listeners on Spotify.

Grey Lucia, a freshman studying criminology and criminal justice, has been listening to Benjamin’s music since 2019.

"All of his music is storytelling and poetic, but I feel like the theme from album to album is still very different, and that's what changes," Lucia said.

Benjamin said he believes his relationship with his fans is due to his vulnerability with them, and through his narrative style of songwriting, he communicates the things he’s feeling. 

"Everybody's really different, but at the end of the day, I feel a lot of the same stuff, and we deal with a lot of the same issues," Benjamin said. "When you talk openly about those struggles, I think people can't help but relate."

Benjamin's fans also thoroughly enjoy his performances and feel a connection to him after them. Benjamin said he enjoys singing to his fans in different languages and loves bringing his fans closer through music. 

READ MORE: Laufey bewitches Arizona fans in magical performance

Benjamin said he enjoys witnessing these connections blossom, as the fans return to his shows in the same city and share how they met one of their best friends at one of his concerts. 

Lucia plans on going to the concert with Alani Muñiz, a freshman studying psychology. The two friends have seen Benjamin in concert before and enjoy bonding over music.

"I think he's a great performer," Muñiz said. "he definitely has a bubbly energy about him that makes it fun to be around (him)."

Another way in which Benjamin is able to share more of himself with his fanbase is through social media. He often posts clips of himself singing, live performances, and snippets of his life, which the fans find enjoyment in.

"I follow him on all of his social media, and outside of his music, he seems like such a fun, loving person," Lucia said.

Muñiz shares this sentiment and believes Benjamin's online presence is a large part of his bond with his fans. Muñiz said Benjamin maintains his bond with his fans and is always appreciative of them.

"Stories stick with you," Benjamin said. "I think it's like, you can tell people. You can show people. And I think a story shows people what you're talking about."

Benjamin's impactful stories, especially on his new album, resonate with his fans, creating a connection with them that centers around music. 

"The way he does storytelling is so unique and special," Muñiz said. "You know that not all of the stories are personal or relatable to you, but it's like you're reading a book." 

Edited by Andrew Dirst, Sophia Braccio and Natalia Jarrett.

Reach the reporter at ktale@asu.edu and follow @KasturiTale on X.

×