ASU football relying on deep transfer class heading into season

After a second consecutive 3-9 season, ASU football brought in over 30 transfers to strengthen the roster

Sports-ASU offseason recap.jpg

ASU football head coach Kenny Dillingham laughs after a penalty call at Rose Bowl Stadium on Saturday, Nov. 11, 2023, in Pasadena. ASU won 17-7.

The transfer portal runs college football. 

It can be nice for teams but at the same time, it can leave them in a bigger hole. A second consecutive 3-9 Sun Devil season riddled with injuries led to questions needing to be answered this past offseason. 

The roster needed a massive overhaul talent-wise after bringing in 30 transfers this offseason. Head coach Kenny Dillingham hopefully helped ASU become competitive in its first year of Big 12 play.

Quarterback 

Additions: Redshirt freshman Sam Leavitt, senior Jeff Sims and redshirt freshman Christian Hunt.

Departures: Jaden Rashada, Jacob Conover and Drew Pyne.

While only appearing in three games last year, there was a lot of hope for former quarterback Rashada as he was a four-star recruit out of high school. Rashada then transferred to Georgia. However, Sims transferred in from Nebraska while Leavitt came in months earlier from Michigan State. 

The two fought a position battle for the starting job and Leavitt eventually won. With a passing game that only saw eight touchdowns last season, Leavitt seeks to add some explosiveness to the ASU offense that many hoped Rashada could bring. 

READ MORE: Sam Leavitt named as ASU starting quarterback by Kenny Dillingham

Running Back

Additions: Redshirt sophomore Raleek Brown and redshirt junior Alton McCaskill.

Departures: Javen Jacobs and George Hart III.

The Sun Devils could afford to lose a player in the running back room, if any position. This room is loaded with talent already with senior Cam Skattebo and sophomore Kyson Brown

Possibly one of the most intriguing transfers is USC transfer Brown, a four-star transfer ranked as the No. 12 back in the portal by 247Sports. Meanwhile, McCaskill played at Colorado last year and exhibits electric speed but a concerning past ACL injury.

READ MORE: Colorado transfer running back Alton McCaskill commits to ASU

Wide Receivers 

Additions: Senior Malik McClain.

Departures: Elijhah Badger and Andre Johnson.

When the passing game only had just over 2,500 yards the year before it would be ideal to retain the player responsible for nearly 30% of those yards. Unfortunately, the Sun Devils lost their top pass catcher Badger to the portal. 

ASU hopes that Penn State transfer McClain can help answer some of those passing game problems paired with a powerful backfield. How many snaps he'll get is still in the air but the potential for him and Leavitt is clear.

Tight Ends 

Additions: Redshirt juniors Markeston Douglas, Chamon Metayer and Cameron Harpole.

Departures: Jalin Conyers and Bryce Pierre.

Conyers had the second most receiving yards last year for ASU with 362 yards but transferred out. The Sun Devils are relying on a revamped tight end room this season. 

Douglas, Metayer and Harpole are all looking for breakout seasons in Tempe after limited playing time. Each has shown flashes of athleticism on the line in a three-point stance and as a receiver.

Offensive Line 

Additions: Redshirt sophomore Jalen Klemm, redshirt junior Josh Atkins and redshirt freshman Joey Su’a.

Departures: Isaia Glass and Shancco Matautia.

After experiencing a host of injuries last year, the offensive line hopes to stay healthy and find a sense of unity this season. The Sun Devils conceded 30 sacks last year, ranking 93rd in the nation.

Atkins comes in from Hawaii after starting all 13 games and taking 888 snaps, the sixth most of any Mountain West offensive linemen. He looks to compete for a tackle spot. Klemm was also supposed to compete for reps but hasn't yet due to an undisclosed injury. 

Defensive Line

Additions: Redshirt sophomore J’Mond Tapp, junior Jacob Rich Kongaika, graduate transfer Jeff Clark, redshirt junior Justin Wodtly, redshirt sophomore Roman Pitre, redshirt sophomore Zac Swanson and redshirt sophomore J.P. Deeter 

Departures: BJ Green II, Sam Benjamin, Ashley Williams Jr. and James Djonkam.

ASU needed to revamp the trenches this offseason and did just that. Last season was a campaign where the team tallied 26 sacks, tied for 60th in the nation. The team needed to find more versatility and depth in the portal. 

Clark, a transfer out of Louisville, looks to make an immediate impact on the defensive line. Tapp, Kongaika, Wodtly and Swanson are valuable rotation pieces that can find playing time with stellar performances. Green will be a tough loss for the squad as he moves on to Colorado, after recording six sacks last year. 

Linebacker 

Additions: Junior Keyshaun Elliott, junior Jordan Crook and redshirt junior Zyrus Fiaseu.

Departures: Will Shaffer.

Fiaseu and Elliott are expected to make an impact in the desert. Fiaseu, a redshirt junior, led San Diego State in tackles with 65 during the 2023 season. He also tallied 5.5 sacks with five passes defended. 

Elliott was another tackler at New Mexico State. He had 101 total tackles and five passes defended for the Aggies.

Defensive Backs

Additions: Sophomore Cole Martin, redshirt sophomore Kamari Wilson, junior Myles Rowser, redshirt sophomore Javan Robinson and junior Laterrance Welch.

Departures: Jordan Clark, Ed Woods, Isaiah Johnson, Josiah Cox and RJ Regan.

Last season opposing teams had a passing efficiency of around 148 against ASU, ranking 110th in the country. The Sun Devils needed playmakers.

Martin headlines the incoming transfers at the position. Martin appeared in every game last year for Oregon and finished with 21 tackles, one pass deflection and an interception. Martin has been taking the starting snaps as a slot cornerback, and the former four-star prospect out of Basha looks to make an immediate impact in familiar confines. 

LSU transfer Welch and Washington State transfer Robinson have been taking starting snaps at each boundary corner spot. All three look to boost a deep but young position for the Sun Devils. 

Special Teams

Additions: Graduate Parker Lewis and redshirt sophomore Tyler Wigglesworth.

ASU expects to retool all their specialist starters from last season. Lewis, a transfer from Ohio State, will take over the starting kicker spot. He boasts a field goal percentage of 77% and has only missed one extra point attempt in his career. Wigglesworth will be the new long snapper.

Edited by Jack Barron, Abigail Beck and Madeline Schmitke

Reach the reporter at danielr1102@gmail.com and follow @daniel_rios72 on X.

Daniel RiosSports Reporter

Daniel is a senior studying sports journalism. This is his first semester with The State Press. He has also worked at WCSN, OC Riptide, 1550 Sports and AZPreps365.

×