ASU students offer dorm advice for incoming freshmen

Dorm essentials for future ASU students

230320 Tempe Dorms-09.jpg

Manzanita Hall at ASU's Tempe campus on March 10, 2023

Moving into a college dorm for the first time can be stressful and overwhelming, but many experienced ASU students have recommendations for making the process easier for incoming freshmen.

Most dorms come with the necessities; chairs, a desk, Wi-Fi, waste and recycle bins, and twin XL beds. However, there are many more purchasable ASU-provided necessities that students say are worth the cost. 

"I know that ASU offers equipment rental, whether it's a fridge, a microwave or a water bubbler, (which ordering) was the best thing that I ever did," said Alaina Meyers, a junior studying human resources and marketing. "It's so helpful and you don't have to use a Brita or refill it a million times."

Meyers, who lived in the Hassayampa Academic Village her freshman year, said the rental equipment was ordered online and the water machine she received came with four monthly jugs of water.

During Meyers' stay at the dorms, her biggest issue was mold growing in all of her air vents. To avoid getting sick, Meyers said her best solution was cleaning the vents and using an air filtration system.

"We had a huge problem with mold," Meyers said. "Our air vents were so gross, we had to clean them probably every week because (the mold) would just grow and it's just gross. So we actually got an air purifier."

READ MORE: Students face problems in old dorms with mold, floods, fires and more

Jessica Javalera Vera, a sophomore studying chemistry while living in Manzanita Hall, said here essentials were cleaning supplies, a vacuum cleaner and proper bedding. 

"I'd definitely bring cleaning supplies, just because everybody showers and (the bathroom) can get dirty," Javalera Vera said. "Even for your room too. It can get pretty gross with dust."

Javalera Vera said a comforter is also a good idea because the air conditioning can make nights "really cold."

Making bedding more comfortable was a common recommendation from students.

"I would say a mattress topper was pretty essential because the beds can be a little hard," said Kaylee Woods, a sophomore studying nonprofit leadership who lived at Gordon Commons on the Downtown Phoenix campus during her freshman year. "A mattress topper makes it easier to be able to lay down and feel comfortable."

Woods also found limited space inside the shower, so a rack around the shower head was her solution. However, the biggest problem that Woods faced in her shared bathroom was the sink and its drainage system.

"The sink did get clogged multiple, multiple times," Woods said. "I think me and my roommate bought four things of Drano."

Aside from purchasing a solution to fix the sink's drainage problems, Woods said calling dorm maintenance is another way to help with potential malfunctions. Dorm maintenance also helps keep shared spaces of the dorm buildings clean. 

According to Javalera Vera, most dorms have shared spaces or multi-purpose rooms that can offer a simple way to socialize for new students. 

"One tip that I really want to give to the new incoming people is don't be afraid to make friends, even if it means knocking on doors, giving out cookies and introducing yourself," Woods said.

Ultimately, Woods found that the real essential for her was her mindset and the attitude she and her fellow students brought to their new living situations.

"It is what you make of it," Woods said. "So if you're going to go in there being like, 'Oh, this is going to be the worst. I hate living in a dorm,' then that's how it's going to be."

Edited by Andrew Dirst, Sophia Ramirez, Natalia Jarrett and Alysa Horton. 

Reach the reporter at sjames51@asu.edu and follow @sennajames_ on X.

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on X

×