ASU football needs to repeat history in Salt Lake City

The Sun Devils face rival Utah Saturday on the road

ASU vs. Colorado team
The ASU football team gathers on the field before its game against the Colorado Buffaloes at Sun Devil Stadium on Saturday, Oct. 10, 2015.

In the words of the late Yogi Berra, "it's like déjà vu all over again" for the ASU football team.

Just two weeks ago, the Sun Devils traveled to southern California and knocked off No. 7 UCLA for the program's first road win over a top-10 team in over a decade. Saturday they'll have a chance to do it again, this time against a top-5 opponent.

Upcoming for ASU is the No. 4 Utah Utes, one of the most surprising teams in the country halfway through the season. Despite losing key pieces on defense such as Nate Orchard and Eric Rowe, the Utes have not missed a beat on that side of the ball, sacking opposing quarterbacks 12 times and forcing 17 turnovers.

Defense has been Utah's hallmark since joining the Pac-12 and this year is no different. Redshirt quarterback Mike Bercovici, who was intercepted on the final play of regulation in last year's contest in his only attempt, said the key to solving the Ute defense comes from playing smartly and with energy.

"Utah's a very opportunistic football team," Bercovici said. "They've done a great job thus far. They play with energy, and they play with passion, and that's something that we've got to match and surpass. But the reality is we've got to focus on ourselves, do what we need to do."

Offensively, the Utes rely heavily on senior running back Devontae Booker, who has accounted for 44 percent of Utah's total offense this season and 19 percent of the team's points.

ASU was able to keep Booker from dominating last season, but Graham knows there's a big challenge ahead this time in Salt Lake City. 

"He's a powered, downhill runner, makes a lot of his yards straight ahead and cutting it back," Graham said. "So the challenge is like it is every week. But more so with this week because I think their offensive line is really good. I think their offensive line is blocking really well and that coupled with a great back like Booker is a big challenge."

The Utes and their experienced offensive line have not only cleared running room, but also allowed just two sacks of senior quarterback Travis Wilson.

Underrated factors going against the Sun Devils are the location and forecast. Rice-Eccles Stadium is one of the more feared home-field advantages in the conference and, with a rain storm on the horizon, the Sun Devils are behind the eight ball.

"Obviously, it's a very difficult place to play," Graham said. "It will be very loud, a very challenging place. But that's going on the road in the Pac-12. That's the way it is."

Senior wide receiver DJ Foster is one of only a few players still on the roster that contributed to ASU's win in Salt Lake City two years ago and is helping the newer players understand what it's like to play at Rice-Eccles.

"It's a tough place to play," Foster said. "That's one of the things I've communicated to a lot of the younger guys who haven't been up there. It's definitely a hostile environment, so we have to go up there, stay focused for four quarters and just play."

ASU football's Dasmond Tautalatasi makes his name known on special teams

ASU football's Salamo Fiso: A selfless leader, now captain

Reach the reporter at mtonis@asu.edu or follow @Tonis_The_Tiger on Twitter.

×