ASU position preview: Wide receivers/tight ends

Redshirt sophomore wide receiver Ellis Jefferson catches a pass during the last day of Camp Tontozona on Saturday, Aug. 15, 2015, in Payson, Arizona.

Skill position players are among the most important part of ASU football's up-tempo offense. With Jaelen Strong's departure to the NFL, other players will have to step up and make the plays that Strong was relied on to make a season ago.

X

Jumping in to the starting unit, according to the most recent depth chart, redshirt senior Devin Lucien, who transferred from UCLA this summer, has jumped to the starting unit. During his career in Westwood, Lucien caught 58 balls for 752 yards and four touchdowns in an offense similarly run to that at ASU. Lucien is prepared to have his best season yet in Tempe with redshirt senior Mike Bercovici at the helm, saying them playing together was "meant to be."

Y

Entering his last season with ASU, redshirt senior Gary Chambers is slated to be one of the main outside targets in 2015. Chambers caught just 10 passes for 204 yards last season, but two of them went for scores. Being with ASU for as long as Chambers has should help him translate fully into a starting role, especially with all the talent at the position drawing attention all over the field.

Z

Making the switch full-time to wide receiver is senior DJ Foster, the most dynamic offensive playmaker on the roster. Despite being a running back for his first three seasons, Foster has lined up wide and been a major contributor in the passing game, totaling 1,874 yards in his career, making his way to the NCAA active leader in all-purpose yards with 3,965.

Tight end

The tight end position was underutilized by ASU in 2014 with just 29 catches by the position and 16 of those were completed to returning starter redshirt junior Kody Kohl. Of those 16 catches, six came in the two games started by Bercovici, giving fans a glimpse of a possibly more active tight ends unit this season.

ASU football position preview: Defensive line

5 predictions for ASU football's 2015 season

Reach the reporter at mtonis@asu.edu or follow @Tonis_The_Tiger on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×