ASU football wraps up practice before home opener

The Sun Devils have some possible changes for Saturday

CampTDay2-BercoKelly

ASU football redshirt senior quarterback Mike Bercovici (left) and senior center Nick Kelly (right) exchange a laugh during stretches at Camp Tontozona practice on Aug. 13, 2015.

With just a couple days until the ASU football team opens its home slate Saturday, the Sun Devils fine-tuned their preparations in the final practice of the week. The media was only able to view a few minutes of practice, but there were some key takeaways from Thursday's session. 

Injury report

After spending most of the week in green non-contact jerseys, senior Nick Kelly and redshirt junior Evan Goodman wore regular maroon offense practice jerseys and were presumably full participants in practice. Meanwhile redshirt sophomore A.J. Latu wore green for the second day in a row, bringing in to question his availability for Saturday.

Change in the lineup?

Graham said after practice that redshirt freshman Sam Jones has a chance to start at left tackle this week, replacing Goodman. Last week against Texas A&M, Goodman was manhandled by sophomore defensive end Myles Garrett all night, giving up two sacks and constant pressure.

Bolstering the defense

After being suspended for the game against Texas A&M, redshirt freshman linebacker Ismael Murphy-Richardson is set to play "a lot," according to Graham. Murphy-Richardson was a much-touted recruit from Goodyear who redshirted last season.

Kalen Ballage illness could open the door for ASU football freshman Jason Lewis to shine

5 reasons to be optimistic and pessimistic after ASU football's loss to Texas A&M

Reach the reporter at mtonis@asu.edu or follow @Tonis_The_Tiger on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×