ASU Cycling Club gears up for annual Sun Devil Criterium

Sarah ___ leads the pack during a practice session on Jan. 28, 2015 in front of Gammage Auditorium. The ASU cycling team will compete at a race on Feb. 8, 2015 in front of Gammage Auditorium. (Andrew Ybanez/The State Press)

ASU Cycling Team members Nicholas Wirski, Sarah Muench, Alan Bonk, Aditya Yadav, and Iván López Castrillo pose for a portrait near Gammage Auditorium on Jan. 28, 2015. The team will compete at a race held near Gammage Auditorium on Feb. 8, 2015. (Andrew Ybanez/The State Press) ASU Cycling Team members Nicholas Wirski, Sarah Muench, Alan Bonk, Aditya Yadav, and Iván López Castrillo pose for a portrait near Gammage Auditorium on Jan. 28, 2015. The team will compete at a race held near Gammage Auditorium on Feb. 8, 2015. (Andrew Ybanez/The State Press)

The ASU Cycling Club's 45 members are gearing up for one of their biggest events of the year: The Sun Devil Criterium. Known as a mini Tour de France, the Sun Devil Crit is similar to Olympic-style short track speed skating, just on bikes.

Constantin Schreiber, ASU Cycling Club president and educational policy and evaluation graduate student, said this year the Criterium has moved to the historic Grady Gammage Memorial Auditorium, where bikers will zoom their way around the special-made course, which centers on the auditorium,

“Having our event at Gammage is iconic,” Schreiber said. “This is not only a big ASU event, but a big community also.”

The club, which was founded in the 1990s, will be participating and promoting the Sun Devil Crit on Feb. 8. Bikers of different skill levels, genders and ages can compete in the all-day race, which even includes a Cruiser race, where those with the popular bikes can have a chance to race around the track.

Biking is not all what you see on TV, Schreiber said. A lot of critical thinking and skill goes into what seems like racing around a mile track a few times.

The positioning, speed, energy even how you distribute your weight going on one of those death-defying turns, are just a few factors that go into racing in one of these Crits.

Global Technology and Development graduate student Sarah Muench leads the pack during a practice session on Jan. 28, 2015 in front of Gammage Auditorium. The ASU Cycling Team will compete at a race on Feb. 8, 2015 in front of Gammage Auditorium. (Andrew Ybanez/The State Press) Global Technology and Development graduate student Sarah Muench leads the pack during a practice session on Jan. 28, 2015 in front of Gammage Auditorium. The ASU Cycling Team will compete at a race on Feb. 8, 2015 in front of Gammage Auditorium. (Andrew Ybanez/The State Press)

The competition will be more intense this year as all eyes will be on the collegiate racing, which includes cyclists from NAU and UA.

“There will definitely be a chance to have some Sun Devil spirit," Schreiber said.

ASU cycling club member Sarah Muench said competing is one of her favorite things about racing.

“I love racing and being competitive," Muench said. “And, of course, competing against UA.”

In addition to being an active member of the club, Muench also is the creator of Clippedin.bike, a website dedicated to cycling all throughout the state.

Although competing is a major part of Schreiber’s cycling career, there are even bigger reasons why he enjoys cycling.

“Cycling gives me a chance to share my gift with others," he said. "It’s a big passion of mine.”

Jokingly saying its a “rich, white man sport,” Schreiber said he wants all students to have a chance at cycling and enjoy it as much as he does.

“The level of participation is up to you," he said. "Not only is the club a great place to learn how to ride and fix bikes, but also to meet new people.”

This year's Sun Devil Criterium will feature many students from the club and the community.

Student organizations such as Devil Dance Sport, Bicycle Coalition and Campus Student Sustainability Initiative will be sponsoring the event. Local business are also supporting the race by providing exclusive prizes like cash, gift cards, merchandise and bike gear.

Both Schreiber and Muench are thrilled and grateful for being able to host the event at ASU.

“I really want this to grow,” Schreiber said. “I just want everyone to have fun, enjoy the sport, and bring students in and people from the community to participate and support it."

While many students haven't heard of the event, students like marketing sophomore Ro Braddy, think it would be an interesting event to participate in.

"It sounds cool," Braddy said. "I probably would (participate) in the event."

More information about the ASU Cycling can be found on its website.

Reach the reporter at sgreene6@asu.edu or follow @thesydneygreene on Twitter.

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter

×