By the numbers: Record-setting day in ASU Sun Bowl victory

EL PASO- No. 15 ASU (10-3) won dramatically against Duke (9-4) in the Hyundai Sun Bowl Saturday in El Paso, beating the Blue Devils 36-31.

How did ASU pick up the win? Look at the numbers:

Numbers1

0: Before the first quarter Saturday, no true freshman had rushed for a touchdown in a bowl game for ASU since 1987. Freshman running back Demario Richard not only crushed this stat today, but he rushed for two touchdowns and caught two more.

Numbers3

0:11: The amount of time Duke led in the game.

Numbers2

1: ASU tackles for loss. Despite a heavy blitz attack throughout the majority of the game, the duke offensive line proved to once again be one of the most adept teams at protecting their quarterback. This TFL was by Marcus Hardison, who won lineman MVP.

1: ASU had the fewest punts ever in a Sun Bowl game. This punt resulted in a 68-yard touchdown return

Numbers4

1:33: The time it took ASU's offense to score its first touchdown. A drive of 51 yards, consisting of two Duke penalties, three rushes and a pass, took five plays and gave ASU momentum going forward.

Numbers5

1.9: First quarter yards per throw from Duke senior quarterback Anthony Boone. For the rest of the game, Boone averaged 14.8 yards per throw. In the first quarter, Duke scored three points. The Blue Devils scored 28 more in the rest of the contest.

Numbers6

2: Sophomore kicker Zane Gonzalez now has the most and second-most points for an ASU kicker in a single season He set the single-season record of 138 last year and had 122 in 2014.

Numbers7

3: Gonzalez did, however, tie for the second-most field goals made in a Sun Bowl game by making all three of his attempts.

Numbers8

4: The amount of touchdowns Richard scored. He tied the ASU record for touchdowns in a bowl game, totaling the mark set by Woody Green in the 1972 Fiesta Bowl.

Numbers9

12: Redshirt junior Jaelen Strong has 12 games with 100+ receiving yards in his career. This ties Shaun McDonald for second most in ASU history. Strong finished his career with 2,297 receiving yards.

Numbers10

15: Redshirt junior linebacker Antonio Longino decimated the previous record of assisted tackles in a Sun Bowl game (12).

Numbers11

20: Gonzalez became the second ASU player to make 20 or more field goals in two different seasons. He did this in his first two years.

Numbers12

96: The total yardage of freshman running back Kalen Ballage's kickoff return in the fourth quarter. It's the longest non-scoring return in Sun Bowl history.

Numbers1961

1961: The year when Duke last won a bowl game. Duke has played in bowls in the past three seasons, but lost them all.

Numbers14

2,000: Junior running back D.J. Foster reached the 2,000 yard rushing plateau in today's game.

Numbers15

10,223: On a 49-yard completion to Strong, redshirt senior quarterback Taylor Kelly became the third player in ASU history to garner 10,000 total yards of offense.

Reach the reporter at logan.newman@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @Logan_Newsman

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter

×