ASU football wins Sun Bowl behind Kweishi Brown's defensive stops

Head coach Todd Graham yells at his defense after the team gave up a touchdown in the Sun Bowl against Duke, Saturday, Dec. 27, 2014 at Sun Bowl Stadium in El Paso. (Ben Moffat/The State Press)

Head coach Todd Graham yells at his defense after the team gave up a touchdown in the Sun Bowl against Duke, Saturday, Dec. 27, 2014 at Sun Bowl Stadium in El Paso. (Ben Moffat/The State Press) Head coach Todd Graham yells at his defense after the team gave up a touchdown in the Sun Bowl against Duke, Saturday, Dec. 27, 2014 at Sun Bowl Stadium in El Paso. (Ben Moffat/The State Press)

After being burned all day by wide receiver Jamison Crowder, Kweishi Brown got redemption when it mattered most.

With 45 seconds remaining in the game and holding a 36-31 lead, he intercepted a throw from Duke senior quarterback Anthony Boone.

ASU took a couple knees and finished the game, winning the Sun Bowl.

It was not Brown’s first huge defensive play. In the third quarter, with Duke driving down field, Brown forced a fumble from wide receiver Issac Blakeney at the seven-yard line. It allowed ASU to take a 13-point lead and maintain momentum.

ASU needed the momentum. After going up 20-3 in the second quarter on near flawless play, Duke made a comeback. In a second quarter period lasting for about six minutes, Duke scored two touchdowns.

The third quarter was all ASU. They went up 30-17 and looked to be in control heading into the fourth.

Boone was finding his groove, though, and he formed a strong tandem with running back Shaquille Powell. Powell rushed for 117 yards on 29 carries and reeled in three catches for 52 yards, including a touchdown.

As much as Duke’s play allowed them to come back, their coaching did too. A pair of trick plays allowed them to take a 31-30 lead with about 5:00 left in the game.

On a fourth-and-long with about seven minutes remaining and Duke down by six, Duke went to punt. ASU didn’t consider the chance of a fake play. Punter Will Monday completed a 30-yard pass.

Later in the drive, Duke hit the red zone. Redshirt senior Damarious Randall appeared to pick off Boone’s throw to Crowder. After review, it hit the ground. Duke regained life.

A trick play later, they took the lead.

Boone handed the ball off to Crowder, who, on the left side of the field, lobbed a pass to an open Blakeney. Duke took a 31-30 lead.

Everything changed in a heartbeat. Freshman running back Kalen Ballage returned a kickoff 95 yards and Demario Richard finished the drive a play later with a rushing touchdown. It was his fourth overall touchdown of the day.

Duke, coming back, rushed down the field. The Blue Devils looked to be about to win.

Brown didn’t let them. ASU escaped.

Reach the reporter at logan.newman@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @Logan_Newsman

Follow the State Press on Facebook or on Twitter @Statepresssport

×