ASU football: battle of the Devils will revolve around the run

Freshman running back Demario Richard runs the ball in a game against the University of Arizona, Friday, Nov. 28, 2014 at Arizona Stadium in Tucson. ASU will have to focus on running the ball against Duke in the Hyundai Sun Bowl on Dec. 27. (Photo by Ben Moffat)

Freshman running back Demario Richard runs the ball in a game against the University of Arizona, Friday, Nov. 28, 2014 at Arizona Stadium in Tucson. ASU will have to focus on running the ball against Duke in the Hyundai Sun Bowl on Dec. 27. (Photo by Ben Moffat) Freshman running back Demario Richard runs the ball in a game against UA on Friday, Nov. 28, 2014 at Arizona Stadium in Tucson. ASU will have to focus on running the ball against Duke in the Hyundai Sun Bowl on Dec. 27. (Photo by Ben Moffat)

EL PASO — The Hyundai Sun Bowl will be a game that will focus on the run.

At the press conference held in the days leading to the game, ASU defensive coordinator Keith Patterson said it would be important to stop Duke’s run offense early.

The Blue Devils have an array of running options. They have four main backs, three of whom average at least 4.8 yards per carry and all with more than 40 attempts on the ground.

Junior running back Shaquille Powell has emerged as the lead running back in this attack and the sole Blue Devil with more than 100 carries. He has 501 rushing yards this year.

Freshman running back Shaun Wilson has proven to be a playmaker in limited carries. He has received more than 10 just once this season, but leads the team with 590 yards and averages a whopping 8.0 yards per carry. He also has five touchdowns on the ground, three more than Powell.

Patterson said it’s difficult to prepare for a multi-headed attack, but he doesn’t have to alter the entire defense for each personnel.

“They don’t change their offense but what you do have to prepare for, you’ve got to study things like in pass protections, this guy might be a cut blocker and this guy might just stay up,” he said.

With that in mind, Duke’s offense doesn’t change for each back. The Sun Devils just need to recognize each running back’s play style.

It’s not just the running backs who are effective on the ground. The two quarterbacks who receive time — senior Anthony Boone and sophomore Thomas Sirk — are adept at running the ball.

Sirk’s role very nearly equates to that of a running back. He’s appeared in 11 games and has attempted just 14 passes. Instead, his packages involve running the ball, and he leads the team with eight rushing touchdowns.

Boone is the primary quarterback, and while he has provided solid stats, he’s been inconsistent. He completed just 56.9 percent of his passes, but only had seven interceptions to go along with 17 touchdowns and 2507 yards. He’s most effective when the run has been established and he can work with play action.

“If you allow them to run the football, you’ve got to make them one dimensional,” Patterson said. “If you allow them to run the football and set up play action shots vertically you’re going to be in for a long day.”

Redshirt junior defensive back Jordan Simone said that Boone’s a good quarterback, but his skill isn’t a unique look for the ASU defense.

“We play in the Pac-12… so we see good quarterbacks and all that stuff all year,” he said. “We just have to worry about what we do and play our defense.”

ASU’s defense is predicated on blitzing the backfield and creating turnovers. Since the first day of bowl practice and throughout Todd Graham's tenure as head coach, emphasis has been placed on creating turnovers.

Redshirt senior defensive back Damarious Randall has been able to take this to heart. He’s been on the team since Graham received the head-coaching role.

“Turnovers win games,” he said.

This is reflected in ASU’s offense, offensive coordinator Mike Norvell said.

“We can’t turn the ball over,” he said. “This is a very good defense we’re playing, one that doesn’t give up a ton of points.”

Duke’s secondary is strong and is a large reason Duke ranks 18th in the nation in points allowed per game. Redshirt senior quarterback Taylor Kelly has struggled with interceptions since returning from injury, and he’ll focus on feeding redshirt junior wide receiver Jaelen Strong in the two’s final game as Sun Devils.

Duke’s run defense isn’t as menacing, giving up 196.3 yards per game. Junior running backs D.J. Foster and freshman Demario Richard have had success on the ground and through the air this season, creating a potential threat for Duke, and defensive coordinator Jim Knowles recognizes that.

“What they do with (D.J.) Foster as you look at that is very challenging to any defense because he’s their leading rusher but their second leading receiver also,” he said during the Sun Bowl press conference. “When he’s in the game you still have no clue whether it’s a pass or a run because he has the skills and talent to be effective on both ends.”

ASU’s pass defense hasn’t been spectacular, and Duke boasts a strong wide receiver of their own: senior Jamison Crowder has 942 yards and six touchdowns.

Freshman linebacker DJ Calhoun pointed to Crowder and redshirt senior Issac Blakeney as two threats at receiver.

“Our corners have to be on lock,” he said.

Their job will be easier if the run can be stopped early. The team that can better establish the run and create play action attacks will likely have the upper hand. Coach Todd Graham recognizes that the teams are similar in terms of play, with a mobile quarterback, committee-like run game and a tremendous receiver.

He also said that the teams have similar intangibles, noting Duke’s high character, intelligence, discipline and toughness.

“It’s fitting that these seniors would play their last game against a team I think that… our program mirrors,” he said. “I’m excited about that and looking forward to it.”

No. 15 ASU (9-3) plays the Duke Blue Devils (9-3) in the Hyundai Sun Bowl in El Paso on Friday. Kickoff is expected for 12 p.m.

Reach the reporter at logan.newman@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @Logan_Newsman

×