Notre Dame scouting report: Q&A with The Observer

Notre Dame senior quarterback Everet Golson runs with the ball in a game against Navy on Nov. 1, 2014. (Photo Courtesy of The Observer/Photo by Jodi Lo)

Notre Dame senior quarterback Everet Golson runs with the ball in a game against Navy on Nov. 1, 2014. (Photo Courtesy of The Observer/Photo by Jodi Lo) Notre Dame senior quarterback Everet Golson runs with the ball in a game against Navy on Nov. 1, 2014. (Photo Courtesy of The Observer/Photo by Jodi Lo)

On Saturday, No. 9 ASU football hosts No. 10 Notre Dame at Sun Devil Stadium. It's the first clash of top-10 teams in Tempe since 1986 and the first top-10 matchup involving the Sun Devils since 2007.

With potential College Football Playoff implications, Notre Dame's student-newspaper, The Observer, gave us perspective from South Bend. Answering on The Observer's behalf is Notre Dame football beat writer Isaac Lorton.

The State Press: Todd Graham seemed really impressed after watching quarterback Everett Golson's film. He's clearly a pretty dynamic threat. What does he bring to the table?

The Observer: Golson brings the whole package (almost). He is a good pocket passer with a strong arm and has the ability to scramble, improvise and throw on the run. He has completed 62.1 percent of his passes on the season for 2311 yards and 22 touchdowns. When he does run, he is dangerous, especially in the red zone. He has seven rushing touchdowns. He is Notre Dame's second leading rusher in terms of yards and is its top scoring rusher with seven TDs. Golson's problem are turnovers. He has seven interceptions on the year and five fumbles, and they usually do not come at the best of times. His decision making has been suspect a number of times this season.

SP: Both of these teams are very different from when they met at Jerry World last season. How have the Irish changed, and what has stayed the same?

TO: The biggest difference would obviously be Golson. The Irish offense is much better and more dynamic with him at the helm. Tommy Rees just didn't have the same athleticism as Golson. The offense also does not have a true No. 1 receiver, as it did last year in Davaris Daniels. But the five receivers who rotate at receiver, all can be threats. As far as defense goes, it is a different scheme under coordinator Brian VanGorder. Whereas it used to be a 3-4 under Bob Diaco, it is now a 4-3. Diaco's defense was big and strong up front, with the likes of defensive linemen Louis Nix and Stephon Tuitt, now the defense is quicker and more aggressive coming out of a 4-3. It is also definitely a younger and more patchworked squad. Notre Dame's defense was more established last season, but this year it seems as if there are constant changes to it whether that be due to injury or the offense it happens to be playing. The level of play, however has remained high.

SP: How much does the loss of linebacker Joe Schmidt hurt Notre Dame?

TO: It was a huge blow. As Golson was the play caller on offense, Schmidt was that and more for Notre Dame's defense. He was a tackle machine and the brains that ran the Irish defense on the field. Freshman Nyles Morgan is good — extremely strong and naturally athletic — however, he is inexperienced and will not be making play calls for the defense. Brian Kelly is still processing who exactly this responsibility will go to, but no one will be able to do it as well as Schmidt.

SP: What's the key to cracking the Notre Dame defense? Do you think ASU has the ability to put up points on the Irish D?

TO: Play-action. If ASU can establish even a little bit of a run game with (D.J.) Foster, it will open up the field for (Taylor) Kelly and (Jaelen) Strong. Notre Dame's defense has fallen prey to a good play action a few times this season and has been burned. Last week's Navy game was a prime example of that. Granted, Navy runs a triple option and the play action may have a greater effect on a defense; however, Navy also does not have the playmaking ability of Kelly or Strong.

SP: Give me one player on the offense and one player on the defense that non-Notre Dame fans/students don't know but will make an impact on Saturday.

TO: On defense, the Irish will need to get after Kelly and not give him time to pick apart the secondary. More specifically, junior defensive lineman Jarron Jones will have an impact Saturday's game. With 31 tackles, five for loss and a sack, he has been a subtly strong presence along the line next to Sheldon Day. On offense, not much has been said of senior tight end Ben Koyack this season, at least not compared to Notre Dame's previous tight ends like Kyle Rudolph or Tyler Eifert. Koyack can have a huge impact on the game as an outlet for Golson when ASU's swarming defense gets after him.

SP: And your prediction?

TO: No. 10 Notre Dame 41, No. 9 ASU 34

Photo Courtesy of The Observer

Reach the reporter at ewebeck@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @EvanWebeck

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow them on Twitter @statepresssport

×