No. 9 ASU football vs. No. 10 Notre Dame: No hiding gravity of nonconference matchup

A Utah player attempts to tackle redshirt senior quarterback Taylor Kelly at a home game on Saturday, Nov. 1, 2014. ASU defeated Utah in overtime 19-16. (Photo by Alexis Macklin)

A Utah player attempts to tackle redshirt senior quarterback Taylor Kelly at a home game on Saturday, Nov. 1, 2014. ASU defeated Utah in overtime 19-16. (Photo by Alexis Macklin) A Utah player attempts to tackle redshirt senior quarterback Taylor Kelly at a home game on Saturday, Nov. 1, 2014. ASU defeated Utah in overtime 19-16. (Photo by Alexis Macklin)

ASU coach Todd Graham is correct. It would be "silly" to discredit the matchup of No. 9 ASU football and No. 10 Notre Dame.

The game doesn't have any Pac-12 implications but is far more important for its impact on the College Football Playoff. Every game the Sun Devils play from here on out is likely an elimination game from the playoff.

It's never been Graham's philosophy to downplay big games or talk up small ones. He's a man who lives for games like these. And he's applying the same strategy this week.

"It would be silly to think of this as just another game," he said. "It definitely isn’t to me."

There's no hiding the tradition and prominence a program such as Notre Dame has. Graham recognizes it. It'd be an insult if he didn't. What's more important, though, is the current success of the Fighting Irish.

They pose possibly the biggest threat on ASU's schedule. At No. 10, they're the highest ranked team the Sun Devils will have played, and many say that ranking is too low.

Notre Dame's only loss this season has come at the hands of No. 2 Florida State, by four points. ASU's one loss was a 35-point defeat at the hands of the now-No. 18 UCLA Bruins. Although the Sun Devils are a much different team now than at the time of that loss, it remains a black spot on their résumé.

The Sun Devils have played better football the last three weeks — arguably better than Notre Dame. They're doing so, too, without much contribution from redshirt senior quarterback Taylor Kelly.

In his two games back from a right foot injury (that, according to Graham, he did in fact have surgery to repair), Kelly doesn't seem to have quite shaken off the rust of a six-week absence.

To his credit, Kelly's two games back have both resulted in wins, but they came despite a pair of very un-Kelly-like performances.

The redshirt senior has completed only 56 percent of his passes, has thrown two interceptions and hasn't topped 205 passing yards in either game.

This could be the week he's back to himself.

"I don't think he's been full speed," Graham said. "I know he wasn't for Washington. He was probably about 80 percent last week. We're hoping to get him full speed here for this game."

Having Kelly up to speed in the passing game would be preferred to his performance on the ground against this Notre Dame defense.

One of the best in the nation, it plays the run better than the pass. It ranks 31st in the nation in rushing yards allowed per game (131.9) and 64th in passing yards per game (227.3).

The Fighting Irish also lost their leading tackler, senior Joe Schmidt, to a season-ending ankle injury. The inside linebacker was actually one of the biggest assets to the Irish's pass defense, dropping into coverage and doing a standout job, making 65 tackles along the way.

His replacement, freshman Nyles Morgan, was a four-star recruit, and he's played well enough in limited time this season to earn understudy. Notre Dame beat writer Al Lesar called him "faster, more physical (and) more aggressive" than Schmidt. But, as a freshman compared to a seasoned senior, he is far less refined.

Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly at his weekly press conference spoke at length his praises of Graham and ASU. They'll be tasked with finding successful attack on the Irish defense, whether it's with Kelly and redshirt junior Jaelen Strong or junior D.J. Foster and freshman Demario Richard.

"Our players want to play in these games," Graham said. "And our fans want to see these games."

Three things to watch for

1. Defensive line depth

This will be the second consecutive week the Sun Devils will be missing a defensive lineman — and it could be two. Redshirt junior Demetrius Cherry missed last week's game because of a violation of team rules, which AZCentral's Doug Haller reported was a misdemeanor DUI. Graham hasn't said whether Cherry will play against Notre Dame. In addition to Cherry, junior defensive tackle Jaxon Hood is expected to miss Saturday's game because of personal issues. The Sun Devils like to sub on the line, and chasing around Everett Golson all game would be easier with a fresh defensive line.

2. Everett Golson

Speaking of the Irish's senior quarterback, containing him is crucial. The Sun Devils are a blitz-heavy defense, a strategy most defenses don't apply to scrambling quarterbacks. ASU didn't have to face Golson last season, and he adds a weapon to the offense Thomas Rees didn't give the Irish last season. Defensive coordinator Keith Patterson said they're going keep up the pressure, but do it "smarter."

3. Is Taylor Kelly 100 percent?

Todd Graham admitted Kelly was probably not at "full speed" in either of the last two games. He didn't play like it, either. The Sun Devils relied on their run game and improved defense to win — not their senior quarterback. The Fighting Irish won't let them get away with that. If ASU is going to win, Kelly has to be efficient in the passing game and present a threat in the running game. He had a six-week break; this will be week three back. Is it time for the rust to wear off?

TV/radio information

Kickoff: 1:30 p.m. Arizona time

TV: ABC

Radio: 620 AM KTAR

Prediction: No. 9 ASU 27, No. 10 Notre Dame 20

Reach the reporter at ewebeck@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @EvanWebeck

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow them on Twitter @statepresssport

×