First-half recap: No. 11 UA 21, No. 13 ASU 21

ASUvsUA

Tucson, Arizona — ASU probably couldn't have imagined a worse start to this game than the one it conjured last Saturday, trailing Washington State 21-7 with less than five minutes to go in the second quarter.

Somehow, they found a way to top that feat.

The UA Wildcats, on the other hand, couldn't have been happier with the way the game started, but not much else since then.

After winning the toss, the Sun Devils elected to receive, and started its first drive of the afternoon on its own 25-yard line.

On third and nine, redshirt senior quarterback Taylor Kelly dropped back to pass, and coughed up the ball after being sacked by sophomore linebacker Scooby Wright. Junior safety Anthony Lopez scooped up the loose ball, and took it to the end zone to put the Wildcats up 7-0 just 44 seconds into the game, turning the red-clad crowd delirious.

After a UA punt was shanked out of bounds along the home sideline, the ASU offense had a golden opportunity to tie the game up, but was shut out of the end zone four straight times. The Wildcats' effort on the goal-line stand would be for naught, however, when redshirt freshman quarterback Anu Solomon and Co. went back onto the field.

Redshirt junior wide reciever Jaelen Strong pulls in a three-yard touchdown catch in the second quarter of ASU's game against UA at Arizona Stadium in Tucson in the 88th Territorial Cup on Nov. 28, 2014. (Photo by Alexis Macklin) Redshirt junior wide receiver Jaelen Strong pulls in a three-yard touchdown catch in the second quarter of ASU's game against UA at Arizona Stadium in Tucson in the 88th Territorial Cup on Nov. 28, 2014. (Photo by Alexis Macklin)

On third and 10 from his own 15 yard-line, a wild scramble that resulted in a play incredibly similar to the one Wright invoked on Kelly, this time, redshirt junior defensive lineman Demetrius Cherry punched the ball loose, and a chaotic scoop and score ensued to even the game at 7-7.

Both teams' top offensive weapons got involved in the offense, as redshirt junior wide receiver Jaelen Strong had three catches for 74 yards, including a three-yard touchdown strike from Kelly in response to UA freshman running back Nick Wilson's go-ahead 21-yard touchdown run on fourth down with 3:41 to go in the half.

Solomon finished the half 8-10 with 116 yards and a touchdown pass, a 69-yarder to sophomore wide receiver Semaje Grant, who weaved in and out of the antsy, turnover-happy Sun Devil secondary when senior defensive back Damarious Randall attempted to jump the route and took himself out of the play.

After each team got the rivalry jitters out of their respective systems, a muffed punt by redshirt sophomore wide receiver Davonte' Neal set up a 7-yard touchdown pass from Kelly to freshman running back Demario Richard to tie the game at 21 heading into the locker room.

The Wildcats have the option to receive the second half kickoff.

Reach the assistant sports editor at smodrich@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @StefanJModrich

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter

×