Demario Richard builds upon already impressive freshman resume

Freshman running back Demario Richard carries the ball on Nov. 8, 2014 against Notre Dame. ASU defeated Notre Dame 55-31 at Sun Devil Stadium. (Photo by Andrew Ybanez)

Freshman running back Demario Richard gets pushed out of bounds by Washington defense during the game against Washington on Oct. 25. ASU defeated Washington 24-10 at Husky Stadium in Seattle. (Photo by Andrew Ybanez) Freshman running back Demario Richard gets pushed out of bounds by Washington defense during the game against Washington on Oct. 25. ASU defeated Washington 24-10 at Husky Stadium in Seattle. (Photo by Andrew Ybanez)

ASU’s rushing attack has certainly had it’s ups and downs throughout the season. As the ground game seems to be peaking for the Sun Devils late into the season, true freshman Demario Richard has used the last two victories to solidify his place in the ASU offensive scheme.

Richard, who showed flashes of brilliance early on versus New Mexico — collecting 57 yards on just four attempts — faded into the background adding only 3 yards the following week at Colorado, and another 2 yards at home versus Stanford.

It was then that the 17-year-old tailback turned on the jets. After evaluating his position group as an “A” for their performance as a whole this season, Richard used the next two games to set the curve offensively for the Sun Devils.

He rebounded for 54 yards versus a lauded Washington defensive front, and more than doubled that with 116 yards on 14 carries at home one week later against Utah, averaging 8.3 yards-per-carry.

ASU led the Utes 6-3 early in the second quarter and were looking for an immediate answer following an impressive defensive stand. Starting the drive on ASU's own 20-yard-line, Richard took the handoff from redshirt senior quarterback Taylor Kelly out wide for 32 yards, driving the Sun Devils into Utah territory.

This set up a 32-yard strike over the middle to redshirt junior wide receiver Jaelen Strong who barreled his way down to the 7-yard line. Strong would haul in a 6-yard touchdown pass just two plays later.

The quick burst of speed was not surprising from Richard who posted a 46-yard touchdown run in week two versus New Mexico and a 23-yarder against Washington. Fast-forward to this Saturday versus Utah, at the end of the first half, Richard had out performed the entire Utes' passing game with just his one, long run.

Coach Todd Graham liked what he saw from all his running backs in the team’s 19-16 overtime win on Saturday; the committee racked up 239 net rushing yards and averaged 5.6 yards-per-carry as a unit.

When ASU wanted to run the ball, it did so effectively — even when showing Utah that it was coming via a one-side heavy formation. This commitment to the running game carried into to overtime where Graham said it was the one key to victory in the given situation.

As for Demario Richard’s pivotal performance in the game, Graham said that he thinks the tailback has a fantastic future ahead of him.

“I think as (Richard) learns and he listens; he is mentored — our running back core is special,” Graham said. “Demario gives us a bruising power, I like the diversity that he gives us in the skill set of our running backs.”

Diversity is the identity that the Sun Devils running game has adapted for this season, as they have found multiple ways to gash even the best defenses with the use of multiple, talented backs. Richard will serve as a key ‘head’ of the three, maybe four-headed beast that is the ASU rushing attack against a youthful but opportunistic Notre Dame defense.

Reach the reporter at csafran@asu.edu and follow him on Twitter @ChrisSafran

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter

×