Freshman running back Demario Richard reacts after the end of the game against the University of Arizona, Friday, Nov. 28, 2014 at Arizona Stadium in Tucson. The Wildcats beat the Sun Devils 42-35. (Photo by Ben Moffat) Freshman running back Demario Richard reacts after the end of the game against the University of Arizona, Friday, Nov. 28, 2014 at Arizona Stadium in Tucson. The Wildcats beat the Sun Devils 42-35. (Photo by Ben Moffat)

Valedictorian: Sophomore punter Matt Haack

No player on ASU truly stood out as having an entirely positive impact except for Haack. The second-year specialist has improved dramatically since the season began and he put on a show Friday. He helped ASU control field position and forced a turnover with a high punt that was muffed by UA's redshirt sophomore wide receiver DaVonte' Neal and allowed for an ASU touchdown.

ReportCardOffense11-16

The problem with the offense was not moving the ball, but finishing drives. In the second half, ASU had back-to-back drives that crossed midfield with ease, but the Sun Devils could not advance the ball and missed a field goal and punted after sacks, halting any momentum. Redshirt senior quarterback Taylor Kelly was pulled from the game in the third quarter after completing 13 of 22 passes for 144 yards and two touchdowns. Redshirt junior Mike Bercovici fared about the same, throwing for 123 yards on 14 for 22 passing with a touchdown, but he was intercepted. Redshirt junior wide receiver Jaelen Strong caught four passes for 80 yards, but had multiple key drops in the game, including one on the final drive that would have given ASU a first down at around the 25-yard line.

ReportCard_D10-19-600x99

Screen Shot 2014-11-29 at 4.01.39 PM

Going into the game without redshirt junior safety Jordan Simone, the defense was at a disadvantage early, but the performance still left much to be desired. ASU missed assignments all over the place, allowing for big plays for UA. Players seemed to be too concerned with forcing turnovers rather than making stops, which hurt them all game. An injury to redshirt sophomore linebacker Laiu Moeakiola did not help the team, but the unit did not step up the way it needed to.

ReportCard_SpecialTeams10-9

In games where teams are evenly matched, field position is always a huge factor and ASU was able to keep the Wildcats back to start drives for the most part. Haack was valuable in pinning UA inside the 20-yard line, as was Kelly on his one punt. Haack did have a kick blocked, though. Sophomore kicker Zane Gonzalez, who is normally automatic, missed a field goal, which ended up not hurting too much at the end, but gave UA some momentum. The return game was present for the first time this season as redshirt senior Kyle Middlebrooks returned two kicks for a combined 30 yards. Not a lot, but in perspective of ASU's season, it was great.

ReportCardOverall11-16

Reach the reporter at mtonis@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @Tonis_The_Tiger

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter

×