ASU vs Washington: Report Card

Redshirt sophomore linebacker Viliami (Laiu) Moeakiola strips the ball from Washington quarterback Troy Williams during the game against Washington on Oct. 25. ASU defeated Washington 24-10. (Photo by Andrew Ybanez) Redshirt sophomore linebacker Viliami (Laiu) Moeakiola strips the ball from Washington quarterback Troy Williams during the game against Washington on Oct. 25. ASU defeated Washington 24-10. (Photo by Andrew Ybanez)

Valedictorian: Redshirt sophomore linebacker Laiu Moaekiola

In a game dominated by ASU's defense, Moeakiola was the clear leader. He led the Sun Devils with 10 tackles, two sacks and two and a half tackles for a loss, plus he forced a fumble. Coach Todd Graham has said all season that Moeakiola is the most important player on the defense, and he showed why Saturday.

offense_10-26

Facing its second straight great defense, ASU was not as good on the road. In redshirt senior quarterback Taylor Kelly's first game back since his foot injury in September, it was clear that there was still rust to be shaken off. Kelly went 14-for-25 through the air with two touchdowns, but also threw an interception that was returned for a touchdown that allowed Washington to get back into the game. Freshman running back Demario Richard was the most effective runner for the Sun Devils, accumulating 54 yards on nine carries.

defense_10-26

The defense was sparkling for the second straight week. The unit allowed just two drive over 35 yards in the game, both coming in the fourth quarter and one was the final drive of the game when the game was all but over. Led by Moeakiola and redshirt junior safety Jordan Simone, who each had 10 tackles, the defense swarmed the Huskies all night long. The unit allowed just three points and kept the momentum in ASU's favor for most of the night. Most importantly, ASU was able to force three turnovers and win the turnover battle.

specialteams_10-26

The special teams has continued to show incredible improvement each week and Saturday showed just that. Redshirt senior defensive lineman Paul Crawford blocked a field goal in the first quarter, making his first true impact this season. Sophomore kicker Zane Gonzalez made one field goal and one snap was mishandled, forcing a miss. The brightest spot on the unit was sophomore punter Matt Haack who, despite high winds, had two punts over 50 yards, including a 64-yarder.

overall_10-26

Reach the reporter at mtonis@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @Tonis_The_Tiger

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter

×