ASU football to battle No. 17 Utah for Pac-12 South supremacy

Utah junior running back Devontae Booker runs with the ball in a game against USC. (Photo Courtesy of The Daily Utah Chronicle)

Utah junior running back Devontae Booker runs with the ball in a game against USC. (Photo Courtesy of The Daily Utah Chronicle) Utah junior running back Devontae Booker runs with the ball in a game against USC. (Photo Courtesy of The Daily Utah Chronicle)

It isn't technically a must-win game. But the winner of it will have increasingly important control of the Pac-12 South.

As ASU coach Todd Graham put it at a recent practice, the Sun Devils have four games to get to San Francisco. Win out, and ASU plays for the Pac-12 championship; fate is in the Sun Devils' hands.

But No. 17 Utah can say the same. The winner of Saturday's game will own the tiebreaker and either a half-game (Utah) or 1.5-game (ASU) lead in the conference standings.

"We think this is a huge game," Graham said. "6-1 vs. 6-1."

Both teams are coming into the game on streaks of their own. The Sun Devils have played shutdown defense the last two games, winning both, and Utah has won three straight, including wins at UCLA and vs. USC.

One of the main factors in Utah's success has been the addition of junior college running back Devontae Booker. He was productive early in the season but not the feature running back. Since the loss to Washington State in Week 5, Booker hasn't had less than 100 yards or 26 carries in a game.

Booker is also a marked improvement over the Utes' running back last season (and Booker's backup this season): Bubba Poole. The junior college transfer has more yards (844) in seven games than Poole had all of last season (607).

"His emergence in the last three or four games has been huge for our football team," Utah coach Kyle Wittingham said. "Devontae has been a big plus for us. He's emerging as one of the best backs in the conference, and really, one of the the top backs in the country.

Booker ranks 17th in the nation in rushing yards, 405 back of the leader, Nebraska's Ameer Abdullah. Over the last four weeks, he's averaged more than 166 yards per game and has scored six of his eight touchdowns.

He'll present possibly the toughest test ASU's defense has seen since its reemergence against Stanford. While it's been two weeks now of improved defensive play (Graham says three), they've come against the two weakest offenses in the Pac-12. Don't misinterpret ASU's wins over Stanford and Washington, though — they're still impressive. But Utah's offense is the first real Pac-12 caliber offense the reformed defense will face.

"It's not just one guy," Graham said. "(The defense has) developed an identity as a group."

Utah can be seen in the same light. The Utes' have answered many of the questions they had at the start of the year.

"We had to create more takeaways on defense and we have to be better finishers in the close game," Wittingham said.

The numbers speak for themselves. The Utes lead the nation in sacks (five per game) and are second in tackles for loss (9.4). They're also 4-1 in games decided by one score or less. Compare that to last season, when the Utes went 3-3 (and had much worse losses) and averaged 6.7 tackles for loss and 3.25 sacks.

Graham's defense has numbers behind it, too. Stanford and Washington averaged just 289 yards the last two games. The prior three — USC, UCLA and Colorado — averaged 539.

It will not only be a clash for supremacy in the Pac-12 South on Saturday but also one of teams on similar paths.

Three things to watch for

1. Defense vs. good offense

It would be an overstatement to compare Utah's offensive attack to that of Oregon, UA or Cal. But the Utes are certainly more equipped than the Huskies or Cardinal. That makes this the first true test for the improved Sun Devil defense. Was it a product of opponents, or has it truly improved?

2. Special teams

It's a toss-up between what unit has improved the most since the beginning of the season. The defense or special teams? Good arguments can be made for both. ASU has one of the most efficient kickers in the nation and an improving punter, with more improving punt coverage. They'll face the third consecutive dangerous return man this week in Kaelin Clay, who has four returns for touchdowns this season.

3. As always, quarterback

It'll be a topic until the end of the season, unfortunately. Since Mike Bercovici came in and led the Sun Devils to two wins in a streak of three games against top-25 teams, Todd Graham hasn't ruled out the possibility of him seeing time, as well as Kelly. It didn't happen, even in Kelly's rusty start in bad conditions at Washington, but it still hasn't been ruled out. Graham has said this is Kelly's team, and expect it to be that way until we see anything different.

TV/radio information

Kickoff: 8 p.m.

TV: FOX Sports 1

Radio: KTAR 620 AM

Prediction: No. 14 ASU 24, No. 17 Utah 21

Reach the reporter at ewebeck@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @EvanWebeck

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow them on Twitter @statepresssport

×