ASU football employs next man up philosophy to fill gaps on offensive line

Sun Devil offense lines up against Washington near the end zone during the game against Washington on Oct. 25. ASU defeated Washington 24-10. (Photo by Andrew Ybanez)

Sun Devil offense lines up against Washington near the end zone during the game against Washington on Oct. 25. ASU defeated Washington 24-10. (Photo by Andrew Ybanez) Sun Devil offense lines up against Washington near the end zone during the game against Washington on Oct. 25. ASU defeated Washington 24-10. (Photo by Andrew Ybanez)

ASU’s 24-10 victory over Washington last weekend came despite the offensive line allowing 7 sacks on redshirt senior quarterback Taylor Kelly, the most the line has conceded this season.

Looking ahead, with redshirt junior left guard Christian Westerman doubtful for Saturday’s game with a leg injury, the Sun Devils will have to be prepared to shuffle multiple players around as they face a top-ranked defensive front in Pac-12 rival Utah.

On the positive side, redshirt sophomore Stephon McCray proved up to the task in replacing Westerman mid-way through last game. ASU offensive line coach Chris Thomsen credited McCray’s focus and attention to detail in his ability to “be ready to step up at a moment’s notice.”

“Bottom line, what I tell them every week is that they all have to be ready,” Thomsen said. “You have to be laser-focused in the meetings, you have to be intent, you have to listen to what is going on; that is what gave Stephon the ability to go in.”

McCray’s performance late in last Saturday’s game not only ensured him some first-team reps at the left guard position in Tuesday morning’s practice, but coach Thomsen also gave McCray the nod to start at that position versus Utah on Saturday — it will be the first start of his college career.

Offensive coordinator Mike Norvell commented on how the offense benefitted from McCray’s performance late in the game, and said that versatility is key to the Sun Devils’ offensive scheme.

“(McCray) was ready for his opportunity. I know coach had challenged him there,” Norvell said. “It’s what we do with all of our guys, you never know when that one snap (will come) where you jump in there and help impact the team to win. He made some big plays, some big blocks there, in that 4th quarter. That was fun to see.”

That being said, expect the Sun Devils to give the Utes more than a few different looks up front when ASU has the ball.

“Jamil (Douglas) could go to LG; put Evan (Goodman) at left tackle … I repped it like that a little today," Thomsen said. "I told Evan he needs to be ready to go. All those combinations (could be used). We will start out with Stephon at LG, Jamil at LT, but I mean, at any point we could change it up, and go a different route.”

Regardless of who lines up where for the Sun Devils come Saturday, preparedness is key as the Utah defensive front boasts a sack total of 35 and sacks-per-game average of 5.0 — leading the nation in both categories.

Sophomore defensive lineman Nate Orchard has collected 6.5 sacks in Utah’s last three games, costing opponents over 35 yards, and he is one of many Utes that will attempt to wreak havoc in the Sun Devils backfield.

ASU will look to piece together a formidable combination on the offensive line to allow Kelly ample time to pick apart the Utah secondary on what should be a cool Saturday night in Tempe.

Reach the reporter at csafran@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @ChrisSafran

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow them on Twitter @statepresssport

×