UCLA football ready for No. 15 ASU

UCLA football head coach Jim Mora instructs members of his team Saturday morning. (Photo Courtesy of Katie Meyers/The Daily Bruin)

UCLA football head coach Jim Mora instructs members of his team Saturday morning. (Photo Courtesy of Katie Meyers/The Daily Bruin) UCLA football head coach Jim Mora instructs members of his team Saturday morning. (Photo Courtesy of Katie Meyers/The Daily Bruin)

After a bye week, the UCLA football team finished its preparations for Thursday night's game against No. 15 ASU.

This season, both teams have had to use backup quarterbacks for an extended period of time. The Bruins (3-0) had to use redshirt sophomore Jerry Neuheisel in their last game against Texas after redshirt junior Brett Hundley left with a left elbow injury.

The Sun Devils (2-0, 1-0 Pac-12) will start redshirt junior Mike Bercovici while redshirt senior Taylor Kelly is out with a right foot injury which he sustained against Colorado.

Coach Jim Mora, who benefited greatly from the use of his backup quarterback, believes that quality backups at any position are great for a team.

"Well, my experience is pretty limited," Mora said. "This is only my third season in college football, but I think that any time you have a capable backup at any position, it's going to help your football team. Number one, it's going to promote competition within your team and, number two, if it does happen, you've got a guy that you have confidence in and your team has confidence in to go out and get the job done."

Much has been made of the fact that UCLA 's offense has given up 100 sacks in the team's last two plus seasons, including 12 so far this year. Mora believes the unit has taken steps forward this season in the first three games.

"(The offensive line) took a step forward in the Memphis game and then they took another step forward in the Texas game," Mora said. "I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that (redshirt junior) Jake Brendel is back in the lineup for us after missing that first game, and I think it's just playing together. We start three sophomores in there and our left tackle is brand new to this system, so there's going to be a period of adjustment."

Mora is not putting all of the blame for the high sack numbers on the offensive line, because he knows that other factors can cause sacks as well.

"I think there's a real misnomer about our offensive line," Mora said. "People see the sack totals and think that every sack belongs to the offensive line when that is really far from the truth."

Mora believes that the accountability is on the team as a unit, and sometimes just a result of a superior defensive effort.

"Sacks belong to everybody," Mora said. "Some sacks belong to receivers, some sacks belong to the quarterback, some sacks belong to running backs, some sacks are a credit to the defense and then, of course, some sacks are the result of your offensive line. I'm happy with where they're at, and I'm even more happy with where they're headed."

On the other side of the ball, junior running back DJ Foster has been causing problems for ASU's opponents all season, and Mora knows that he is the key to the offense.

"You stress to the defense that he can run and catch like he does," Mora said. "He's a dynamic playmaker. He's great coming out of the backfield catching the ball, he's great running the ball out of the backfield, he's got great speed, vision, all of those traits."

Mora acknowledged that the presence of Foster cannot distract his defense from ASU's other offensive weapons.

"If you focus too much on him, though, somebody else is going to beat you," Mora said. "I think as a defensive coach that it's about (playing) fundamentally sound, with great technique and great effort."

Photo Courtesy of The Daily Bruin

Reach the reporter at mtonis@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @Tonis_The_Tiger

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow them on Twitter @statepresssport

×