Three MLB players you didn't know were still playing

Every season, there are a few players you see on MLB lineup cards that force you to do a double take. "He's still playing?" you ask in a panic. Yes, he is, and here are three more for you to put away in the back of your mind.

Chone Figgins, utility, Los Angeles Dodgers (age 36) OK, you might know this one. But only because Figgins has been infamously terrible since leaving the Angels — to the point of wondering, "How could a team give this man a roster spot?" Well, the Dodgers did, and he's played in two games thus far, drawing a walk in each.

John Lannan, LHP, New York Mets (age 29) The Mets are Lannan's third team in seven seasons — all in the NL East. Lannan was a three-WAR, Opening Day starter for the Nationals when he was just 24. Two seasons later, he didn't even make their rotation. After a season with the Phillies cut short by a knee injury, Lannan earned a spot in the Mets' bullpen.

Grady Sizemore, OF, Boston Red Sox (age 31) Before Opening Day, Sizemore hadn't had a Major League at-bat since Sept. 24, 2011. Plagued by injuries, the once-budding-superstar finally returned to the bigs three seasons later. And he got a hit in his first at-bat. Sizemore beat out Jackie Bradley, Jr. for the starting job in center field.

Honorable mentions: LHP Joe Beimal (Seattle Mariners), RHP Joba Chamberlain (Detroit Tigers), 1B Jason Giambi (Cleveland Indians), IF John McDonald (Los Angeles Angels), C Jose Molina (Tampa Bay Rays), OF Xavier Nady (San Diego Padres), 1B Lyle Overbay (Milwaukee Brewers)

Reach the sports editor at ewebeck@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @EvanWebeck

×