Devil Dish: TGIF, thank goodness it's fall

Fall is upon us, and you can feel it in the air.

And I'm not talking about the (mildly) brisk temperatures or the leaves changing colors (that doesn't happen in Arizona anyhow). I'm talking about fall, the best time of the year to be a sports fan.

Hockey has just begun a full season with no lockout and is poised to be as exciting as ever while basketball begins in just a couple of weeks with an opener for the ages: the defending champion Miami Heat vs. the Chicago Bulls and the (hopefully) triumphant return of Derrick Rose.

Meanwhile, professional and collegiate football is in full swing. Tom Brady is being Tom Brady, and the Oregon Ducks are being the Oregon Ducks. But there are surprises that always seem to keep us watching, too. Like the undefeated Kansas City Chiefs and Florida State Seminoles.

Oh, and let's not forget MLB playoffs. In the waning moments of the LDS, we saw the seemingly ageless Juan Uribe turn into a playoff hero yet again and Justin Verlander own the Oakland A's in a decisive Game 5.

And for those who still can't get enough, there are also World Cup qualifiers, where countries band together and fight for their chance to be in the game's most important tournament.

My advice: Sit back, relax and enjoy it while it lasts.

Reach the columnist at npmendo@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @NPMendoza

×